14. I Don't Even Know Anymore

CARTER'S POV 

I watched her as she ordered her coffee.  She was still so beautiful to me, but she already had that Luke guy where they were meant to be together in their fame and such.  It was so heart wrenching when she told me to leave.  I knew that she really needed answer es, but I wasn't sure if she was going to forgive me.  

She came back to our table and sat down slowly.  We sat in silence in awhile until she broke it.  

"You can start whenever you want,"  She said quietly.  I nodded and told her everything that happened that day.  

------Flashback------

"Carter, sweetie!  Katie and Katrina are here!"  I hear my mom yell from downstairs.  I lazily roll off of my bed and set down my Xbox controller.  

"Coming mom!"  I yell back as I head out of my room and down the stairs.  As I near the end of my never ending stairwell, I see the back of Katie's small head and Katrina's short figure next to her.  They turn around and face me.  

"Carter!  Happy birthday!  I can't believe you're already seventeen."  I smile as Katie comes in to hug me.  She smells so good, and her face is just glowing today.  Gosh, she's so beautiful.  

"Aww, thanks, Katie bug."  I hug Katrina also.  She was being awfully quiet today, and Katie didn't seem to notice, but I could tell that something was up.  

"Well, I'll just go get you guys some snacks."  My mom says, but I interrupt her.  

"Mom, I'm seventeen now.  I think we're just gonna go out, if that's okay."  I saw her excited face sadden, but I knew that she was trying to let me grow up.  She just nodded and I hugged her not knowing that it would be one of the last times I would be seeing her in a long time.  

"So, where are we headed birthday boy?"  Katie asked while I put my arm around her shoulder.  We've been getting closer lately, and I've been liking it.  I still haven't confessed my feelings for her, and I don't think she realizes how much I actually care about her.  

"Oh, well, I guess the birthday guy will just have to surprise you."  

"No silly, it's supposed to be the other way around!"  Katie says while playfully punching my arm.  I looked over at a still silent Katrina.  Katie quit laughing and started frowning.  

"What's wrong, Katrina?"  I ask worriedly.  She instantly snapped out of her little trance and looked up at us.  

"Oh, um... It's nothing.  Don't worry about me.  It's your birthday, Carter.  Come on, cheer up.  Seriously don't worry about me."  She said, but it was obvious that something was bugging her.  She didn't seem to want to talk about it though.  So we reluctantly let it pass.  

We got into the car, and I started heading in the direction of where I wanted to go.  As we neared the destination, I noticed Katie and Katrina's confused expressions.  

"Um, Carter?  It's a Sunday,"  Katie asked looking adorable with her furrowed eyebrows and bitten lip.  

"I'm well aware that it's a Sunday.  Just trust me."  She still looked confused but just went with my plan.  

I led them into the gym where all the lights were off and it was dead silent.  I really hope that my buddy did what I told him.  I texted him sneakily saying that we were now in the gym.  I watched as the lights turned on suddenly and a bunch of people pop out of the bleachers and say surprise.  

I looked over at Katie.  She was laughing.  I knew she would love this.  "You threw your own surprise party, huh?"  I laughed with her nodding.