Chapter 15: Azrael V

Out of sight, behind Seeryath, Fáelán and Aldrys held a hushed discussion. If I bothered to listen, I could probably hear what they were saying, but instead I focussed on Thirak, who was still leaning against me. The dragon, even in the form of a human, was clearly tired. Like Seeryath, I was fully aware that communication was extremely limited, since only Seeryath could ensure private conversations, as to talk mentally otherwise would be heard by all. I hoped this would all be over soon. I was quickly growing weary of dealing with the elves and also the constant danger we had been in.

Nudging the human-dragon, I watched as Thirak staggered to his feet, knees bent and weight of gravity low. It was clear he was struggling to stay on his feet, tired as he was. It was easy to reach out and tap him with my wing, then angle my body so that the Thirak understood what I was trying to say. Sending a grateful smile my way, Thirak clambered onto my back, motions heavy and hard, unlike his previously graceful and light mounts. Another sign of his exhaustion.

I hoped this would be over soon.

Seeryath, it seemed, had grown tired of the conversation and a snarl got the pair moving out of her way, scurrying sideways and still talking. The blue dragon slammed against the door, which folded beneath her might, falling inwards.

"Careful!" Fáelán exclaimed. "You really don't want to upset these stone structures. You do that and we'll see how easily this place falls apart – on top of us." A flick of her tail and a snort was all he got in answer, Seeryath entered the room, and completely ignored Fáelán's concerns.

"Dragons," Aldrys offered Fáelán, causing the other elf to grimace. I rolled my eyes as I followed the pair through the doorway.

The new room was fairly empty, walls with carvings and faded paintings of some sort. The roof was high above us, pillars twisting and twirling upwards to hold the rock ceiling steady, although I doubted the pillars were really needed. Despite the roof's height, the width of the room was another story. As I stepped forward, I found myself shoulder to shoulder with Seeryath, little room to move in any direction – forwards, backwards, sideways; there was only a metre or less in each direction due to the fact Seeryath and I filled most of the space. Luckily for us, I supposed, the elves were much smaller creatures and able to weave around us.

"The necklace is here!" Aldrys crowed, almost underneath my snout.

Put it on, Seeryath urged, see if the legends are true.

"Do not," Fáelán countered, sending a sharp look Seeryath's way – not that she could see it. "Let me run a diagnostic spell over it. It'll simply warn if there are any curses or spells with harmful intents linked to the necklace." Seeryath grumbled, shifting her weight backwards and shuffling her wings, almost knocking me over. I flicked my tail in annoyance, allowing it to smack lightly against the other dragon. A huff of apology was all I got in return.

Fáelán nodded at Aldrys who put on the necklace, and immediately disappeared from my sight. Seeryath hummed loudly. It works, she said proudly, like this was some prize of hers she had won. Aldrys took off the necklace and smiled.

"He's invisible to all eyes," Thirak said, a yawn cutting his sentence in half, "including mine."

"Let's go then," Fáelán said decisively, "back to safety."

I hummed in agreement and took a step backwards, planning to walk backwards through the door, only to feel the stone beneath my back-left paw drop. We might have a problem, I quickly said, even as there was a loud cracking sound.

Twisting my neck, I saw one of the pillars break down, crumbling into a pile of rocks and debris. Time to go, Seeryath called to us.

We're blocked in, I replied, slipping my weight into my legs and bringing my wings up to protect Thirak on my back.