Chapter 12: Changes

The next morning, Bruce frowned slightly in focus as he read the front page of the morning paper while Alfred drove him down the streets of Gotham City.

Thankfully, no-one had even begun to guess who Batman really was – not for lack of trying – and more importantly, there had been fewer casualties thanks to his efforts. Arkham's inmates had all been rounded up and people were being cured of Crane's toxin and treated as fast as possible thanks to the 'miraculous' cure that Gordon had delivered.

It was an all-around success, made all the better as Bruce read the report that Rebecca and Gordon were both up for promotion after the night's events.

"Batman may have made the front page," Alfred spoke up lightly, "and Miss Dawes made page two; but Bruce Wayne got pushed to page eight."

Bruce chuckled a little as he took the newspaper Alfred passed him, already opened onto said page. Bruce stared down at the article title 'Drunken Billionaire Burns Down Home', his expression turning thoughtful as he skimmed over the details.

It had been printed exactly as he and Alfred had wanted to spin the story; and no-one had to know the truth. Well, almost no-one.

His cell rang, and Bruce answered on speaker, "Bruce Wayne"

"What makes you think," the irritated voice of one William Earle, former CEO of Wayne Enterprises demanded, "you can decide who's running Wayne Enterprises?"

Bruce smirked, not at all ruffled and indeed enjoying the other man's barely suppressed anger.

However, he kept his tone even as he answered calmly, "Well, the fact that I'm the owner."

"What are you talking about?" Earle growled, though with a hint of genuine confusion. "The company went public a week ago."

"And I bought most of the shares." Bruce answered casually while Alfred grinned as he drove, enjoying Bruce's triumph as much as the young man was. "Through various charitable foundations, and trusts, and so forth."

Bruce couldn't quite keep the amusement from his voice as he added, throwing Earle's words right back at him, "Look, it's all a bit technical. But," his smirk widened as Alfred suppressed a chuckle, "the important thing is that my company's future is secure."

He then raised his voice as he added loudly, "Right, Mr. Fox?"

"Right you are, Mr. Wayne." Lucius Fox, the new CEO of Wayne Enterprises, answered and Bruce smiled as he cut the call.

"I think a celebratory dinner tonight is in order, Master Wayne." Alfred chuckled, and Bruce laughed, "Right you are, Alfred."

"Perhaps you would like to invite Miss Dawes." Alfred added slyly, making Bruce's smile dim slightly.

"I haven't spoken to her since last night." Bruce admitted with a sigh.

"You are not afraid to fight Gotham's criminals, but you are frightened to call Miss Dawes, sir?" Alfred inquired, with more than a hint of teasing in his voice.

"Becky can be a lot scarier than any of my enemies – even Ra's al Ghul in some ways." Bruce answered dryly.

Bruce's cell rang again before Alfred could answer, and Bruce answered it again on speaker.

"Bruce Wayne."

"When were you planning on telling me?!" Rebecca's voice yelled through the phone, making both Bruce and Alfred wince.

"What?" Bruce asked, bewildered, and Rebecca snapped, "Don't 'what?' me, Bruce Wayne! Is Alfred okay?"

"Becky, hang on, what are you-?" Bruce began, when she said sharply, "I saw in the paper that your house burnt down last night!"