Chapter 23: Decisions

Bruce came home, his mind whirling with thoughts and grim preparations for the next day.

His meeting with Maroni had been as unsuccessful as he should have expected after everything they had experienced with the Joker in the last few days. The mobster knew nothing on the Joker, and not only did he not know but he had pointed out what Bruce had known deep inside but hadn't wanted to face – no-one was going to sell out the Joker, even if they could.

It was too well known that the Batman had rules, rules against needless violence, against guns... and against killing.

The Joker, however, had no rules. Something Bruce was only just starting to fully grasp. It was as Alfred had said - some men didn't want money or anything to gain personally. Some men... just wanted to see the world burn.

Seeing Harvey Dent later that night hadn't exactly improved Bruce's mood either. The man was clearly starting to reach the end of his patience, and Gordon's death and the discovery that Rachel was being targeted next was driving him to more desperate measures. His yells, almost screeches, after Batman still rang in Bruce's head even now, a few hours later.

"You can't give in!"

Bruce sighed. He knew Harvey meant well, but the White Knight of Gotham didn't understand - Bruce didn't have a choice anymore. It was painfully clear that the Joker would not stop until the Batman turned himself in. And Bruce couldn't have another death on his hands, especially when he knew it was only a matter of time before the Joker targeted Rebecca as well.

Bruce paused in his doorway when he saw the tall, feminine silhouette standing by the repaired window where Rebecca had been thrown out just three nights ago, staring out at Gotham below.

"You got home late." Rachel commented as she turned to look at Bruce, and Bruce pulled a cocky smile onto his tired face.

"Yes, well, I was engaged elsewhere." He answered. After all, he was telling the truth – technically. "I'm sorry if you stayed up waiting for me?"

His voice lifted curiously at the end of his sentence, turning his comment into a question as Bruce wondered why Rachel was up and clearly waiting. He'd expected her to either go to bed or sit waiting for her sister – yet, Rachel's body language as she faced him clearly said she had been waiting for him.

Rachel folded her arms, and she jerked her head back towards the window as she commented with only a half-attempt at casualty, "You got this fixed fast."

"Well, I can afford to pay to be put on priority." Bruce answered with a half-smirk. "And, the breeze I was getting was a little too much."

His smile dimmed slightly however when Rachel noted in a barbed tone, "I don't remember seeing you at the party after the Joker arrived."

"No," Bruce pulled a sheepish expression, "I, well, don't tell anyone – I don't want to deal with the bad press – but I hid when I heard the crazy guy arrive. I didn't want to accidentally get caught in any crossfire."

"Let's agree to cut the bull, Bruce." Rachel said flatly.

Bruce's slight smile dropped completely as she stated, staring him right in the eye, "I know you're lying, and that you have been lying the entire time since you came back to Gotham."

"What do you mean?" Bruce continued to feign ignorance, but his eyes had narrowed just slightly as he realized there was no fooling Rachel - not anymore.

"I saw the way you looked at Becky when you finished your speech for Harvey." Rachel said quietly.

Bruce tensed as Rachel went on, ""You act like this rich playboy, this selfish man who doesn't care about anything or anyone but himself. And it was always strange to me that Becky continued to defend you despite that. I know she can be a sweetheart when she wants to, but she normally hates people like the kind you've been acting as."