Chapter 19: Target

"No, Gordon, if you need me-" Rebecca tried again, frowning, but Gordon waved her off.

"Go." He answered. "Your sister's right, Harvey might be a target. And we can't do anything until forensics gets back to us anyway – our hands are tied. You might as well stay close just in case."

He pointed at her as he added sternly, "But keep your phone close, Sergeant. I'll let you know as soon as we get results, and if Dent's not the target then I'll need you out immediately."

"Trust me, sir, I won't let it out of my hand." Rebecca answered grimly, and trying not to feel guilty that she'd used Rachel as her excuse. What else was she supposed to say? Batman called personally, during the day? "I can't believe Joker blind-sided us like this."

"Yeah." Gordon sighed, rubbing his hand down his face tiredly. "And, of course, Lau couldn't have told us sooner that Joker was looking to make a deal with the mob."

"At least he came clean in the end." Rebecca muttered. "Though it was probably because he was fearing for his life."

"For good reason, apparently." Gordon answered, before he nodded at her. "You'd better get going now, Sergeant, if you want to get to get there to protect Harvey Dent."

"Yes, sir." Rebecca answered, standing up and leaving Gordon's office.

She nodded to Ramirez as she left, the tired-looking officer nodding back once, and Rebecca thought sourly, 'To think we were all celebrating just this morning. I'm dead beat again already, and Gordon and Ramirez haven't even had the chance for a breather yet.'

"Going to a party like that, Dawes?" Wuertz asked as she passed him, and Rebecca answered, "I'm going to work, Wuertz; so yes, I'm going like this."

"Still, it's a party thrown by Bruce Wayne." Wuertz noted as Rebecca grabbed her stuff to leave, her gun being one of the things she took. "That's gotta be something."

"Maybe if I wasn't working." Rebecca answered dryly as she left, and Wuertz watched her briefly before he headed back to his own work.

***********

Rebecca arrived at the penthouse about five minutes after her sister texted her to let her know she and Harvey had arrived.

The moment the elevator doors opened, Rebecca could see that the party was already in full swing as all the rich and famous and powerful in Gotham chatted about in small groups. She did feel slightly out of place considering she was still in her work clothes – combat trousers and a collared shirt under her jacket - while everyone else was dressed in their finest, but, as she'd told Wuertz, she was working.

And she felt much safer sticking out amongst the elegantly dressed now, than if she were to find herself in a crisis against the Joker while wearing an evening dress and four inch heels, armed with a clutch bag. Rebecca shuddered at the thought.

It was then that she finally saw Rachel, leaning on Harvey's arm as his date for the evening. Rachel also spotted her sister, and whispering something to Harvey, the brunette hurried over.

"I'm glad you made it." Rachel murmured as she hugged her sister. "I have to say, I agree that I feel safer with you here with Harvey, although I'm still worried because you might be in danger now, too."

"It's fine, it's my job – I signed up for it." Rebecca dismissed, and Rachel said wryly, "Why does everyone around me say that?"

"Because we're all morally-righteous idiots." Rebecca joked lightly, and Rachel smiled.

Rebecca then nodded at her sister as she added, "You look stunning, Rach. Harvey's a lucky man."

She winked, and Rachel nudged her sister as she laughed, "Shut up. I wish I could have dressed you up for this, too."