Chapter 1: Return

*A/N I do not own Batman, or any of its characters. I only own my own OC. Story contains spoilers for the movie.

Arc 1: Begins

22 years ago

"Becky! Rachel!"

A young male voice called out across the gardens as a dark-haired eight-year-old boy searched through all the flowers and shrubs leading towards the main greenhouse.

"Rachel? Becky?" The boy called as he wandered into the greenhouse.

A small giggle, hurriedly stifled, alerted the boy to the presence under one of the greenhouse worktables, and he smiled.

"Got you two." Bruce Wayne grinned as he dropped down on his hunches, coming face to face with the two little girls hidden under the table.

The equally dark-haired Rachel Dawes quickly covered her hands together, hiding her newfound treasure while her younger sister, Rebecca, tried to hold in in her little giggles again while pushing back her bright red curls.

"Now, can I see?" Bruce wheedled, but Rachel taunted playfully, "Finders keepers, and I found it."

"My garden." Bruce countered, and Rachel glanced at her sister.

Rebecca nodded, her blue eyes sparkling as she agreed to show Bruce, so Rachel finally opened her hands enough that Bruce could see the arrowhead Rachel had found – with Rebecca's help – in the garden.

Instantly, Bruce had reached out, grabbing the arrowhead right out of Rachel's hands as he shouted, "Finder's keepers!"

"Hey!" Rachel cried as she and her sister chased after Bruce as the young boy raced out of the greenhouse. "Bruce!"

"That's mean!" Rebecca chimed in, as the sisters ran out after Bruce.

The boy had ducked to the side, hiding quickly over an old dried well that had been covered up for safety. Rachel paused as she reached the outside of the greenhouse, uncertain where to go, but Rebecca went straight for the well.

"Bruce!" The little girl exclaimed, spotting the boy as she had expected to find him.

It was a knack of hers – being able to find people even when they didn't want to be found. It certainly made playing hide and seek with the six-year-old much more interesting than Bruce would have thought as it forced him to both hide and seek in the most interesting places around Wayne Manor.

As Rebecca came upon him now, Bruce laughed as he quickly stood up. He made to run again, but the sudden movement was too much on the old wooden boards. The planks suddenly gave way, causing Bruce to fall right through with a cry – while Rebecca screamed as she too tripped and fell into the well.

"Becky!" Rachel screamed, running over and peering into the well fearfully. "Bruce!"

She let out a small gasp as she saw her little sister lying on top of Bruce, both children groaning. Without another moment's hesitation, Rachel turned and started running back towards the Wayne Manor as she cried out to the adults for help.

"Mom! Mr. Alfred!"

Inside the well, Bruce turned to Rebecca as he groaned, getting a very strange feeling in his arm, "Becky, get off."

"S-Sorry." Rebecca whimpered as she made to crawl off of Bruce, also feeling sore though she hadn't broken any bones.

But Rebecca froze as she saw a small opening on the side of the well.

It had probably been a drainage pipe at one point, but the metal had rust and parts of the ground had eroded to make it look rather sinister – especially to a six-year-old girl.