Chapter 20: Joker

"Harvey."

Rachel and Harvey looked up, startled, as Rebecca suddenly appeared behind them. Harvey looked briefly annoyed at being interrupted, but that quickly changed when he and Rachel saw Sergeant Dawes before them and not Rachel's little sister, Rebecca.

"I'm sorry Harvey, but I need you to come with me. Rachel, you need to get back to the party." Rebecca ordered, and Harvey protested, "Rachel can come with-"

"Please, Harvey, trust my judgment as an officer." Rebecca cut him off sharply. "And remember that Rachel's my sister when I make this order."

He blinked, but then nodded in defeat, while Rachel glanced between her lover and her sister anxiously.

"You'll keep safe?" Rachel checked, and Rebecca answered, "We'll try, now go. But try to stay as incognito as possible."

Rachel nodded, pressing a quick kiss on Harvey before she hurried back to join the party, while Rebecca took Harvey's arm and led him quickly further into the kitchen.

"Where are we going?" Harvey asked, and Rebecca muttered, "Somewhere safe."

"But the exit's that way-" Harvey began, when suddenly Bruce appeared behind the man, grabbing him around the neck in a sleeper hold and forcing the DA unconscious.

"Sorry, Harvey." Rebecca muttered as Harvey lost consciousness before she looked up at Bruce as her boyfriend held Harvey's neck tightly for a little longer just in case.

"I've got him, you need to go." Rebecca whispered as soon as they were sure Harvey was knocked out.

Bruce nodded, quickly moving out to get to the secret room in the penthouse where his Batsuit was located, while Rebecca quickly hid Harvey in the nearest stock closet. Thankfully, she was well-trained because Harvey was heavy. Tall and fit were all very well on men, until they were dead weights – then, it wasn't quite so nice.

Rebecca managed, however, and forced Harvey into the closet with a grunt. She then sealed the door with a broom, keeping him locked inside, before she quickly slipped back to the penthouse.

She arrived near the main room, just as a gunshot fired.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!"

As soon as she heard the Joker's voice, Rebecca quickly ducked back down, keeping low and staying hidden in the hallway around the corner from the main room.

She peered out carefully to assess the situation, noting the six or so men with guns around the Joker as the madman himself waved a large rifle around, clearly having been the one who'd fired the gun though apparently he'd just shot into the ceiling.

As the Joker's men pointed their own guns at the party guests, the Joker wandered about the natural circular space everyone had given him upon his arrival as he announced, "We are tonight's entertainment."

He picked up a cocktail kebab from a nearby, abandoned table. Chewing off the shrimp at the top, the Joker turned back to the crowd as he stated, "I only have one question – where is Harvey Dent?"

There was only silence in response to his question.

Most of the guests didn't even know where Harvey Dent had gotten to, and a few were also quietly defiant enough that even if they had known they wouldn't have sold Harvey out. After all, Thomas Wayne had been a minority but not alone in his world of the rich and politically powerful.

The Joker continued to walk about the edges of the circle, staring at the crowd of guests. Rebecca tensed when he waved his gun dangerously close to one of Bruce's model dates, but the Joker soon moved on to grab a glass of champagne instead. Taking a sip, he smacked the glass back down on a different table before he tapped the nearest man.