Chapter 8: Why we Fall

Começar do início

Rebecca sighed again.

"I mean, it makes sense, if you think about it from the perspective of an immature brat like you."

"Couldn't we just say I matured, now that I'm thirty?" Bruce inquired dryly, and Rebecca shot him an amused look.

"You'll never be mature, Bruce." She said fondly, reaching over to tug on his hand to pull him closer. "But I am glad you've decided to be honest with me."

"And I'm sorry for what I said the other day." Bruce apologized. "I just-"

"-Wanted me to be safe?" Rebecca asked flatly, and Bruce nodded.

"Yeah." He said sheepishly, bracing himself for a punch. He knew Rebecca, and he knew she would not be happy with the way he'd handled his concern for her. And an unhappy Rebecca could also often a violent one - and rumour was she hadn't been the best in the police academy for just her examination grades.

But the punch never came as Rebecca instead patted his cheek – over the cowl – as she said with a slight sigh, "You worry too much."

"Well, you worry too little about your own safety sometimes." Bruce commented, and Rebecca looked him up and down pointedly.

"I don't want to hear that from someone who goes up against powerful criminals single-handedly every other night." She noted. "You're not the only one who should stand up against them."

"I'm trained in physical combat, and wearing a Kevlar suit." Bruce countered, and Rebecca shot back, "And I'm trained as a police officer and armed, even if you don't like it. And, speaking of the suit, can you take the mask off?"

She gestured at it as she admitted, "It feels... kind of strange to be talking to you with it on. Especially since you apparently use that voice with the mask."

Bruce started, only realizing then that he'd accidentally slipped back into his gravelly Batman voice while arguing with Rebecca.

Bruce hesitated for only a moment before he removed the mask, unconsciously turning his neck and stretching it as he did to work the stiffness out. His brown hair swung into his face as it fell free of the cowl, and Rebecca reached up to push his hair back for him, staring up at him with those familiar bright blue eyes as she took in his face.

"What?" Bruce asked uncomfortably, very aware of the black paint around his eyes that probably made him look like a panda.

It was necessary to ensure full coverage of the skin around his eyes when he had the mask on, but he felt rather awkward with it on as Rebecca stared at him intently.

"Just taking it all in." Rebecca answered quietly as she let her hand move down from his hair to his face before dropping it back onto her lap. "I thought I'd lost my best friend for a while there – but, now I see he's still there."

"I really am sorry about what I said." Bruce said quietly. "I know I hurt you."

"Yeah, and I was going to punch you." Rebecca admitted as she looked up at him. "But, since you did save my life - twice - I've decided we can be even on that front."

"You didn't have qualms about hitting my face the other day." Bruce pointed out – apparently he was still a little sore on that, even though he knew he'd deserved it.

"You deserved that." Rebecca had no problem reminding him.

She then patted his face again as she added lightly, "And besides, wouldn't want to ruin Bruce Wayne's face for his birthday party."

Bruce chuckled, before he sighed. She'd reminded him that they didn't have much time.

"I have to get going – I need to kick my 'guests' out quickly." Bruce muttered, and Rachel frowned.