Chapter 7

When I awoke, I had somehow ended up on the stone floor of the cave again. I sat and stretched, yawning as I looked around. My eyes widened with what I saw. Both Thornbush and Viggo were gone. Quickly, I got up and ran outside, looking around for any clues on where they had gone. On the ground were two sets of footprints. One set was that of a Deadly Nadder and it was going in the direction Thornbush had told me a large lake was, meaning she had gone fishing. The other set was going in the opposite direction and they could only belong to one other person. The rain was still falling, but it wasn't as much as before I fell asleep, so the footprints wouldn't wash away. My hands balled up into fists and I ran in the direction the hunter's footprints led. As I ran, I could hear the familiar call of a Changewing protecting its territory. 

"What have you done?" I muttered before running faster in the direction of the dragon's call. As I got closer, I slowed down until I was behind a tree looking at the scene in front of me. There was an adult female Changewing eyeing Viggo closely as he stood a few feet away, watching the dragon's every move, a knife in hand. I looked around the area and noticed a small ditch in the ground nearby. Quietly, I crawled towards it and saw that it was filled with three colorful Changewing eggs. "This isn't just the Changewing's territory. It's a nesting ground." I muttered. Suddenly, I looked up to see the Changewing spit acid at Viggo. Luckily, he dodged, but it was a close call. Before they could cause any more harm to each other, I grabbed the Nadder spike from my belt and walked out from behind the bushes. Both Viggo and the Changewing looked at me before the dragon turned its attention back to the hunter, deciding I wasn't a threat. With my eyes on the Changewing, I slowly walked over, so I was in between the two and I faced the Changewing. I extended my free hand forward as I walked backwards towards Viggo. I stopped when I heard the hunter right behind me and as quickly as I could, I pressed the point of the Nadder spike to his chest without turning around. "Drop the knife." I hissed under my breath as I watched the growling dragon. 

"If I do, then it'll attack." Viggo retorted, making me press the point of the spike deeper. Viggo hissed in pain, but he didn't drop the knife. 

"We're in her nesting grounds. She won't let us leave alive as long as she thinks you're a threat." I explained. Viggo was quiet for a bit before dropping the knife on the ground. Slowly, I walked towards the Changewing with my hand still raised in front of her. I put the spike back into my belt before kneeling down and resting my hand on her snout. "Thank you for your help. I promise to keep a better watch on him next time." I whispered so that Viggo wouldn't hear before standing up and stepping back. The Changewing looked into my eyes, then at Viggo, a low growl escaping her throat before she camouflaged herself. I turned towards the hunter and glared at him. "What do you think you're doing?" I asked him as I walked up to him. He raised an eyebrow, his hands clasped behind his back. 

"I'm sorry, but whose fault is it that I'm here in the first place?" Viggo asked, his voice raising a little. I narrowed my eyes at him before turning and walking away from him back towards the cave. I could hear Viggo's footsteps behind me, but at the moment I didn't care if he was following me or not. I kept walking, but stopped when I heard something to my left. I turned my head in that direction and could see Viggo stop walking through my peripheral vision. I watched and listened carefully for a bit before catching sight of blur zip through the trees. "Get in a tree." I ordered Viggo. Viggo looked at me as if I had two heads. "Now!" I yelled at him before grabbing the branch of a tree, swinging myself onto a branch higher up. Viggo still ignored what I said and looked in the direction I had moments ago. I watched as well and saw exactly what Viggo didn't. A fast moving blur charged through the trees towards the hunter. I growled at Viggo's cluelessness before jumping out of the tree and tackling the blur to the ground, causing both of us to roll into the bushes. Careful to avoid the tail of the Speed Stinger I had tackled, I got off of the dragon and stayed in a crouching position, glaring at the Speed Stinger. "What are you doing, Sting?" I asked in a whisper, recognizing the dragon immediately. 

"Sorry, Alpha. I didn't realize the human was here with you." Sting apologized, his tail swishing as he stood. I shake my head and stand as well, leaving the bushes. I brushed myself off and looked up to see Viggo staring at me, his arms crossed. 

"What?" I asked. Viggo shook his head and turned, making his way back to the cave. Forget about the plan. This guy was annoying me. My plan had originally been to keep Viggo away from the hunters long enough for Hiccup and the others to be able to attack them at least once. Without their leader, the hunters would fall. I would then return Viggo to his people unharmed and I'd be back with the riders. Suddenly, Viggo stopped, Sting somehow getting in front of him without either of us noticing. Sting growled, posing his tail high in a menacing way. 

"Get out of the way, dragon." Viggo ordered, uncrossing his arms as he took a step closer. 

"Don't take another step, hunter." Sting growled, swishing his tail. I watched the two as they faced off, not sure what to do. Unaware of Sting's warning Viggo took another step closer. Sting roared ferociously and ran forward, knocking Viggo back, away from something I hadn't seen till it was too late.