Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The Scars Of The Past

" What do you guys think of the new teacher?" Jackie asked during lunch later that day.

" Definitely better then the last two." Cass said. " This one actually teaches us things." A curious look crossed her face. " Your planning your yearly start of the year prank, aren't you?"

" I have no idea what your talking about." Jackie denied and I shared a look with Cass before smirking. " Who's that target? Filtch? Snape?" I asked and Jackie glanced toward me with a gleam in her eyes, just as Snape came walking into the Great Hall covered in pink glitter, right behind him was Filtch who was covered in feathers and glue. The three of us raised an eyebrow at Jackie who calmly sipped her pumpkin juice. There was a loud thud, and then Lupin appeared looking just as calm as Jackie, with pie cream all over his face and confetti falling off his shoulders as he walked.

" Why did you prank Lupin?" Cass asked.

" Just a warm Hogwarts welcome." Jackie said.

" You know, I thought about using your glitter bombs during our boggart lesson." I told her and she grinned before glancing toward the Slytherin table. We looked over to see what she was looking at, and I rolled my eyes when I saw the group gathered around my cousin. " Can I borrow one." Spencer asked. " Preferably the one with the slime in it?"

Jackie passed him the bomb, and Spencer drew his wand, and glanced toward me. " Emrys, do you mind?"

" Not one bit." I muttered glancing around before I used my power to lift the object into the air, so that it floated directly above the group. Spencer took aim while waving his wand, and I dropped the bomb on the table. They stared at it for several seconds before it exploded, and covered them all in glittered slime.

" So Cass, what was that creature that your boggart turned into." I asked.

" Satan." Was her response, and nothing more.

" Okay.." I said trailing off.

" My family is very religious."

" They are." Jackie agreed.

" And what do they think about-"

" Oh they fully support it. That's why Jackie lives with us."

" Support. Must be great." Spencer muttered, his hair turning orange.

" I'm sure he'll come around if you tell him." Jackie assured and Spencer rolled his eyes.

" What was your boggart, Jackie." Cass asked changing the subject.

" Fire." She responded and we stared at her in confusion. " When I was younger and my magic was starting to show, my uncle tried to burn me alive. I don't like fire." She shrugged, messing  with the ribbon on her wrist. We each had one as symbol of our friendship. It then that I noticed the faded outline one two identical scars that completely surrounded both of her wrists, went up her arm, and disappeared into her sleeve.

" So, what was yours?" Jackie asked me and when I looked away in response, Cass said. " Us."

" What?" Jackie in confusion and Spencer let out a sigh. " Her boggart is us. She's scared that she'll turn into her father, and kill us all."

" Absolutely ridiculous." Jackie said shaking her head. " We told you last year, we aren't worried about it, Emrys. Your you, and he is him, and you are our friend no matter what you do because your stuck with us."

" I...I just want you guys to promise me something. If something does happen, you wont-"

" Forget it." Spencer said cutting me off, before holding out his wrist with a grin as his ribbon began to randomly change color, Cass nodded before holding out her own as the dragon on it let out little knitted out flame across the white background, and Jackie held out her bright Hufflepuff yellow ribbon with a huge grin. I placed my hand on the pile, allowing my Slytherin green ribbon to join with theirs.

We were four ribbons; bound forever at the wrist.