Chapter 19

I panted like a dog, picking up my pace as the end of the obstacle course came into view. My legs felt like they were on fire as I jumped up and grabbed the rope, swinging to the other side and landing fairly-smoothly.

And by that I mean I barely missed the landing mat and landed on my face rather on my legs. 

Hurt my pride than anything else.

"She's performing worse than a regular wolf." A council member I'm going to call Beardy spoke loudly to his other council men, and made sure I could hear him. 

I just scoffed in between my heavy breathing.

I'd like to see him try to do this ridiculous course with his hands and legs in heavy shackles. 

But god. 

I'm out of shape.

"Maybe Mr. Randel's report was correct, she's harmless." Another member who looks like a much older version of Axel, so I'll call him Senior, spoke up. 

"Just because she is your great-grandson's mate does not mean she's automatically harmless." Another snapped, I named him Baldy. 

But Mr. Randel? 

I guess that's Clint. 

But Axel's great grandfather? 

I quickly glanced at him to see that he was the exact same pair of ocean blue eyes that gave me anxiety. 

I shook off the bile rising in my throat and pushed forward to the hurdles that I surprisingly easily jumped over. And that was the last obstacle. 

I collapsed at the finish line, gasping for air as this collar felt a little tight on me. Without warning I was drenched in ice cold water and a chain was attached back to the collar. A guard yanked on me so harshly I stumbled forward, right into the new mud that just formed. 

A loud growl echoed from the entrance to the "competitor's chambers" or the prisons. 

Axel had come to visit me even though it was only day 2 of the trials. He was waiting for me behind the gates to the chambers that I was being lead to. 

Brennon had to go home and take over Axel's duties as the alpha insisted on supervising me. 

"Tell your mate to calm down." The guard whispered to my ear. He was much taller than me and had to hold my collar, lifting me off my feet to reach my face. 

"Let go of her!" Axel banged on the gate, his eyes glowing with fury. 

I felt myself trembling but I kept my eyes on the guard instead of looking away. 

"Release me." I whispered, ignoring the other guards putting my shackles back on. "Please." I quickly add. 

But the guards eyes widened, dropping me like I was on fire and walking away. It caught the attention of the council men as guards surrounded me. 

I quickly got a glimpse of Axel who was on the verge of shifting, his canines nice and prominent as he was covered by a guard's leg. 

I looked up to see them all drawing their swords and positioning their guns towards me.

Great.

"What did you do?" One of them shouted, behind him was the guard from earlier whose face was completely pale.