Chapter One

I was  6 years old when i last saw my mom. I was hiding in a closet with my little brother with my hands covering his over his ears. The lights are off and a folding chair is pushed against the door to keep us in. i hear yells but Sam doesn't. That's all that matters. He looks up at me with big puppy dog eyes. He was the only thing that mattered right now. The little boy sitting in my lap facing a door was all that i had. I hear a small yelp then the floor thuds as mom falls to the floor. Then i hear something glass being smashed. I would have to clean that up later. Sam was shaking in fear. He was only 5. He didn't deserve this. My heart was beating against my ribs in anticipation and fear. We are completely silent. Our Fathers loud stomps shake the floor of our hiding spot. I hear the faint noise of him slumping into the old couch. We wait. Wait for Grandpa to call at 4 o'clock like he does everyday to say hi to mommy. Dad would always say mommy was asleep oron a errand. She usually doesn't wake up until after grandpa hangs up. I could feel sams hands tense up under mine in fear of the unknown. He was probably passed out by now. We had to wait just to be safe. My black eye from last time is healing and i don't need another one. So we waited. For hours until mother woke up. By this time dad was snoring loud enough for us to hear him. We heard mother tip-toe across the creaky floor to our hiding spot. She knocked softly on the door. Sams lips quivered and he whimpered. I removed my hands from his ears and crawled towards the chair blocking the door. I slowly pulled it away and then mommy opened the door and i didn't have time to look at her before she pulled us both into a tight hug.  Mommy pulled away when she heard dad shift in the crusty couch. Sam jumped back into my arms and mom ran out and closed the door behind her. Luckily dad was still asleep. A few minutes later mommy opened up the door and made a motion with her hands for us to follow her. I was still in my school clothes and sam was in his pajamas. Mommy grabbed her big coat off of the hook and then we silently walked hand in hand to the car. Mommy let me and sam sit up front as long as we buckled up then she jumped in and didnt buckle up. She sped out of the garage and raced down the street. She didnt buckle up until we pulled into a big house where a lady with pretty brown skin carried sam and another man held my hand and let us go inside. Mommy had to stat behind and was talking to a woman with her hands over her head and tears coming down her face. That was the last time i ever saw my mom.
    Now im about to turn 17 and in another foster home and sam is in another home a few blocks away. I told them not to split us up. They promised they wouldn't. They lied.they always lied. So now i was packing my stuff into  a drawer of a strangers house for who knows how long. My wrist hurts from how bruised it is. I just got out of my 23rd foster home. My 3rd abusive one. No one wanted me. I was a burden that they only kept for money. Now i was with some 30 year old dude named Micheal. Ill meet him at 4. Now im with my social worker. I liked her. She always helped me through trouble and kept me out of juvy. She was on my side. She was the only one. She almost lost her job tryong to get me and sam in the same home but no one wanted us.
    Her name was Avery Whiles. She had long brown hair with a little bit of blonde on he end. She was actually really pretty with a black skirt dress bringing out her pale skin and brown eyes. She spoke to me in a calm voice.
         "Honey listen, I know your scared but I promise you, this man is good. Sam is in a good home. You know that you two had to be split for safety reasons. I'm sure Micheal will let you two visit each other while we smoothie everything out. Just try to be good,okay?" She soothes me like I was a baby. Her hands found mine and she gave me a reassuring squeeze. I finished putting my very little belongings into the three drawers of my small room and followed Avery downstairs.
      I was dressed in an orthodontist sweatshirt from when I had braces last year. I had on grey sports joggers and some soft socks on. I was bare foot and my hair was tangly at my sides. I felt Avery run my detangler brush through it a few times before a white truck pulled into the rubbly driveway and a tall man stepped out of it.
     "I better go and let you to meet" Avery said. I wanted more than anything for her to stay. I don't want to be alone with some strange man. But I couldn't stop her as she walked upstairs to my room and h
      He was tall and thin with black messy hair and a small beard. He looked only 30-ish. He had a nice smile. He was eating a red flannel and jeans with some brown shoes. He stepped inside and reached out a hand. I shook it gingerly.
       "Soooo.....are you Denasia?" I nodded my head. I haven't been called Denasia since I can't remember. It's always been Taylor or Miss Carter. But I didn't say anything. I kept my gaze at the white tile floor. It had a small scratch in it.
        "My wife and kid will be here tomorrow, I just thought that you wails want some alone time in the house" I didn't respond. I didn't know he had a kid. I looked up at him and his smile widened. He gestured for me to sit down at the square  dining table. I sat and he sat on the other side so he was in front of me. He cleared his throat.
      "As you know, this will be your home for a few weeks. You are welcome to eat anything you can find and wander around however you like but you may not leave the house without permission. My daughter Kaylee is seven so there is absoloitly no swearing in this house. I do not tolerate alcohol in this house and the same goes for drugs.  On school nights lights go out at 10 and on nights where Kaylee is here they go out at 9. Kaylee is usually here 3 days a week. Uhhhh no friends are allowed until further notice for safety reasons and you may not lock your door until further notice." He looked at me. I must have had a look on my face because he sighed.
        "I know this is a lot and I'm sorry about your brother but I promise you can have a good time if you try" he smiled at me and then got up.
     "I leave for work at 7 every morning and am home at 6. My wife, May, will take you to school and pick you up. Eventually you may walk to school if you want but for now we're going to drive you. You were on the high risk list so please don't make us lose our trust with you" He gave me another smile and asked if I had any questions.
      "W-When can I see my brother" I asked quietly. He gave me a sad look.
     "I'll take you to see him tomorrow if you want but one your dad gets out it may be a week before you two are safe to be together again." That information saddened me but at least I would be a lie to see him. I nodded my head and returned my gaze to my hands in my lap.
      "I have something for you" He said, a smile covering his frown. He opened one of the drawers in the kitchen and pulled out a small shoebox taped shut. He seemed proud of his job as he slid it over to me and returned to his seat.
       I looked at the package blankly. What was I supposed to do, open it? I was told it's rude to accept gifts and that movies were fake.
       "Go on, open it" He said softly and kindly.
     I smiled and gently pulled the tape from the side of the box. I opened it and my jaw dropped. In it was a small black phone with a small scratch in the corner. I smiled and held the phone up.
     "Is this for me?" I asked with a tiny bit of confidence I my voice.
       "Of course" he smiled broadly.
        The phone had a bright purple screen as the wallpaper and had a few apps on it. Jist the basics like Camera, Messages, Phone, Video Call, and contacts. I smiled at each one. I opened contacts and noticed I had three contacts- Micheal and May, then the third was an unknown name that was kind of hard to say- Veniamin.
       "I thought you would want a way to talk to your friends from school and Sam. I or May will check it weekly so don't do anything your not supposed to but other than that it's yours" he smiled warmly. His teeth were really bright. I pocketed the phone. Then steps from upstairs grew louder. I completely forgot about Avery.
     "And you are?" He asked seriously with a hint of confusion.
        "Relax. I'm Mrs. Whiles. I'm Taylor's social worker."
        "Taylor?"
         "I-I sometimes go by T-Taylor" I mumbled.
        Micheal looked dazed but understanding. 
          "Ok then" Micheal  said.
           "Well if everything's alright, I'll leave"
    I was going to miss Avery very much but to be honest, I was kind of excited to explore more about Micheal. I watched Avery walk out the door and say her red car pullout and drive away. Then Micheal spoke up.
               "I can take you to see your brother if you want" he said loudly.  I almost jumped but caught myself.  I nodded. We walked out to the car in silence and as I sat in the passenger seat of his truck. It was a nice truck.
          "Soooo....Taylor" he says emphasizing the Taylor. I smiled at it.
           "Let's play 20 questions" he suggested. I nodded even though I didn't know how to play.
           "Ok you can go first" he said with a smile. I stared st him for a few seconds before I spoke up.
        "I d-don't know uhhh how to umm uh play"
      He just chuckled.
        "It's nothing to be embarrassed about" he said kindly. Then he explained how to play.
   "Ok ummm what's your favorite color" He asked.
   "I don't really have one" I said a little embarrassed.
      "Oh come on everyone's got a favorite color"
        "Everyone except me" I laughed.
       "What color appeals to you the most"
       "I guess blues nice and I like purple" I mumbled. He chuckled.
        "Ok your turn to ask" He said.
        "What's your favorite color" I giggled when he mocked me by saying he doesn't have one.
         "I like red or browns pretty neat" I nodded and we went back and forth like that until we pulled into a small brick house. Sams house. I haven't seen him for almost two weeks. What would I say? I jist wanted to see him. So I took a breath and got out of the car. With Micheal at my side I felt somewhat confident. So my false confidence led me into the front door.