5. Details and Complications

Start from the beginning

Aldrick caressed Elizabeth's hand as he explained his grandfather's statement. "A commander's every action must be for the benefit of the ship and her purpose. A wise captain will invite criticism and free discussion to gain a broad view, but when a decision is made and an order given, it must be obeyed." 

"Much more involved than I had thought." She shrugged. "Though I had not given it any thought until recently. So, Roberts and his followers were put to death." 

Matthew shook his head. "No, that punishment is only in the Navy. Aboard merchant vessels, crime falls under common law. I brought them in front of the justices in Old Bailey Street, and they were sentenced to transportation to Virginia for seven years indentured servitude." 

"Indentured servitude?"

"A polite way to say sentenced to slavery."

Elizabeth grimaced. "Better than sentenced to death. He lived on, and his family is due a share of the treasure." 

"Yes, he lived on, but, no, as part of the punishment, the justices struck his shares from the ship's articles, as well as those of the nineteen who conspired with him. His son is now seeking the treasure on his own." 

"With the descendants of those who schemed with him?"

"Only five of them besides his father survived the wreck."

"The wreck? The one half a century ago? Delfe?"

Matthew heaved a loud sigh. "Yes, their navigation during their day in command left us with no idea where we were when the rapidly building storm overtook us."

Aldrick shook his head. "I was unaware of this, Grandpa. You have not before mentioned Roberts being to blame for the wreck."

"It is not my manner to lay blame on others. The wreck was due to my inability to keep the ship off the rocks, and I led the two prizes onto them with us."

"But he caused you to not know where you were, and the islets were unknown." Aldrick pointed to his satchel and the maps on the floor. "And they are still unknown, except apparently to Popple, the mapmaker, and whoever supplied his information about them."

Elizabeth spoke up. "Would Joseph have known the ship's position? Might he have steered off toward another destination he knew?"

"He refused to answer, and they had left no records in the log. An entire day blank. No courses, no speeds, no observations of land."

Elizabeth nodded as she analysed. "How do you know about his son?"

"Years later, long after he had returned from his transportation, Joseph petitioned me to reinstate his shares, and, he offered himself and his son as crew to help find the treasure. I refused."

"Fearing a repeat of his mutiny?"

"Yes, also that. But mainly, wanting to honour the families who have remained faithful and to not dilute their shares."

Matthew stared into his wine glass for a long while, tensing his jaws. "He approached me again a few years later, stating he knew where the ships were, and that he would lead me to them if I reinstated his shares."

Elizabeth laughed. "He must take you as a fool, or be one himself. If he knows, why would he not recover it all for himself rather than take only a small share?"

"This was my thought as well. He had no wealth with which to purchase a ship, and I suspect with the felon's brands on his cheek and hands, none would feel safe offering patronage, no matter how good the story."

"And how does his son now have a ship?"

"He followed his father's deceitful ways, and though he has spent time in Newgate, his crimes did not demand he be branded. For many years he told tales of knowing where three treasure ships lie, and he finally found an ear."

Aldrick took over from Matthew, relating the sequence of events which led to a group of discharged sailors and shipwrights who repaired and refloated an abandoned hulk. "It was too large for them to afford to fit out for sea, so they sold it, receiving sufficient to purchase a small near-derelict brig."

"Brig?"

"A small ship with two masts, somewhat similar to our sloop, though its mizzen sail is carried on the mainmast rather than..." He paused when he saw Elizabeth's expression grow increasingly confused. "A small ship."

"I am sure I will learn all these things if you have patience. So they left a month ago. How long does it take to reach the Bahamas?"

"In good conditions with a sound ship and a capable crew, it can be done in four weeks. But if the winds are unfavourable or the crew inexperienced, it might take eight or ten. Even twelve." 

"And, is his crew experienced?"

"From what I have been told, he has attracted none but ordinary seamen dismissed from the Navy, some idle shipwrights, and the remainder, men he had met in Newgate."

"Not an inspiring crew." Elizabeth squeezed Aldrick's hand and nodded toward Matthew who had begun snoring. "Should we wake him?"

"Let us prepare to depart first, then have the butler do it, so we can bid him farewell."