12. The Baron Leigh Family

The barking of the dogs had brought the footman from the house, and he scurried back inside to announce the arrival of Lady Elizabeth. By the time Aldrick reined the horses to a stop at the door, a small crowd had gathered in the courtyard. Baron Leigh strode across to the carriage to catch Elizabeth as she leapt from the step into his outstretched arms.

The baron and his first-born remained in a tight embrace while Aldrick climbed down to open the door, lower the step and assist Judith down. Wilson followed, then the three stood back and watched as more people assembled. A woman stepped forward and approached Wilson, introducing herself as Elizabeth's mother, Anne. "Pay no mind to them. They often forget propriety." She shrugged. "Welcome to the family." 

Aldrick smiled at the misunderstanding, then with a bow and a sweep of his arm, he said, "Thank you, Your Ladyship. May I present Wilson, my coachman? And this is Mistress Hodgins, Elizabeth's lady's maid. We are delighted to meet you."  

Anne laughed aloud as she assessed the two men. "I should have guessed. Elizabeth had written that you are much taller than is she. And that you wear a beard." She offered her hand. 

By this time, five more people had approached, Wilson and Judith had withdrawn, and Elizabeth brought her father into the small gathering. Edward shook hands with Aldrick; then he introduced his children who had arranged themselves in descending age. "My heir, Thomas, his brothers, William, Henry and George, and our youngest, Mary."

Aldrick shook hands with the young men; then he took Mary's to his lips.

"We had not expected you until the end of the afternoon. Did the storm not reach the Gap?" 

"We continued to Rugby yesterday, Papa." Elizabeth motioned toward the house and smiled. "Shall we go in? There is more privacy for my need there than I might find here in the courtyard." 

Anne laughed. "You will never change, will you? Always so forward. Come. We will sit and sip tea while we await dinner, and you can share tales of your new adventures."

Elizabeth returned the greetings of the assembled house staff as she walked toward the door, then she stopped to examine the plaque mounted above it. "A new one?"

"By looks, but no

"By looks, but no. Mary had the maids clean it, then she repainted to make it fresh for everyone as they arrive. It had become rather faded over the years." 

Elizabeth ruffled Mary's hair and led her through the door ahead of the others. "A splendid job. You must show me what new you have painted."

"And you must tell me what it is like to be with a man you love."

She put a finger to her lips. "Hush, little miss, else others will hear."

Mary blushed then looked over her shoulder. "They are still out the door and cannot hear us."