Chapter 11: "...Taken..."

DANTÉ'S POV

"Danté, I'm the leader of the Sydney mafia." Erika said finally.

The words completely flying over my head as she says them.

The car became dangerously quiet after those words were said. My face stays emotionless and neutral as I finally attempted to register why she had just said that. Analysing every word she said.

To say I was speechless would have been an understatement.

After all it's not everyday that someone's new and possible girlfriend reveals that they are a mafia leader.

The movement of the car turning a corner, brings me back to the moment, making me realise that Erika was probably waiting for a response. But I couldn't think of one that would express how I feel. But then again, what I felt couldn't be considered one emotion.

I was intimidated, scared and sceptical about all of it. I also felt betrayed by her, that she wouldn't tell me something as crucial as this during the almost 3 months we dated, but then again, I could understand why she would wait this long to tell me.

A whole 8 minutes of silence had past when Erika's prominent voice broke the silence with my name.

"Danté." She said in a tone that felt like she had endowed my name with a value I never knew it had.

She had that effect when she spoke. Making anything she said; sound a thousand times more important and precious than it usually would be. It was one of the things that made it impossible to not give her my undivided attention.

"Yea." I said in a whisper, regaining my ability to talk.

"You haven't said anything for over 5 minutes. Are you alright?..." She said with genuine worry, reminding me who I was talk to.

I smiled.

"Yea, it's just a lot to take in...I mean it's not everyday your girlfriend tells you that they're the boss of the Sydney mafia..." I chuckled, nervously.

She huffed out in response.

"And you're serious about this?..." I asked hoping it was a joke.

But it wasn't, as she slowly nodded, focusing back on the road.

I let out a sigh and sunk into my seat.

"I understand that you'll have questions, so don't hesitate to ask them. I'll tell you what you need to know." She said while turning into a highway.

"What I need to know..." I said carefully, waiting for some elaboration.

Her grip on the wheel tightened ever so slightly meaning she was thinking hard of what to say next.

"Dante, being in the mafia, let alone the leader of one isn't something I can tell everyone... hell I'm even surprised that I told you this so early in our relationship... but then again, all of my past ones have been guys in the mafia too soooo..."

"Wait... I'm your first normal boyfriend?..." I asked as I processed everything she said. No wonder she's been so nervous and slow with me. Looking over to her, I notice her nervous smile not knowing what to say.

God, she's so cute when she's speechless...

My girlfriend, well... my soon-to-be girlfriend who is the leader of the Sydney mafia.

As a thousand questions fly through my mind, I manage to narrow them down to three that I hope she can answer.

"Ok then... I just have three questions, maybe more... I don't know just yet..." I said, mentally preparing for all of the possible answers.