Chapter 11: Recuperate

Back in your bedroom, your mind started to spin

Back in your bedroom, your mind started to spin. Your ears rang piercingly and your head began to pulsate, much like a balloon under your cranium, slowly being inflated as the tension mounts. This was then followed by the urge to puke as the back of your throat could already taste what was about to come next. You beeline for the bathroom and throw up most of the alcohol with a pungent cough.

Now resting alongside the toilet, you wondered if drinking that much was a rookie mistake, maybe just overthinking, or maybe you were having a panic attack. At this point, you didn't know what to accept, after all, your heart was thumping very rapidly.

Sleep sounded like the best option, but you felt as if you couldn't. There was just so much transpiring at once right now. You attempted to stand, but you misstepped a little due to dizziness. Eventually, you stumbled to your bed and lie down in it. "I have to leave...now," you whispered to yourself.

The time you spent at The Sanctuary has been great but you can't keep pushing yourself to stay any longer, so you grabbed a bag and began packing the essentials.

During mid-packing, you started to reflect. I can't do this. Not like this so soon. Not to Simon...even though it's only been several weeks to a month now, I feel too guilty leaving this momentarily. At the same time, I don't want to become too attached to the guy...Though what if we escaped together? Would he actually want to do that, even when he has so much history here already? You drowned in eternal thoughts. I'm too drunk. I'm thinking way into this...

You quit packing, took a deep breath, and got a glass of water. The beverage felt so refreshing, it aided your pounding skull from the tequila. You flung the semi-packed bag toward your closet door, wishing to continue that another time, and you plopped back onto the mattress. Your mentality was too blurred to make any hasty decisions like that, to begin with. The only plan now was to rest up and stay focused on the resource job...To your surprise, after a couple of hours, you manage to fall into a deep slumber.

***

The next day started with a massive hangover. Your vision was impaired as the room spun in circles. Your head now hurts more than ever. "Never...again!" You jokingly groaned to yourself in an amused manner. You suddenly became more cognizant of your splitting headache than the layer of parched saliva that covered your cracked lips. Once on your feet, the room rocked almost causing you to lose balance and making it so you reached out for the wall. Your hand slipped along the off-white paint and you dropped onto the floor with a loud thud. The room swirled before becoming stagnant again and you used the bedframe to pull yourself up. You cursed under your breath before hearing knocking at the door.

You made it to the entrance without stumbling and opened the doorway to see none other than Simon fully dressed in his dark purple shirt. "Come in." You mustered to say.

"I came over to check on you after last night...whoa, you're a sight for sore eyes." He chuckled.

"Thanks..." You replied sarcastically.

"Not a heavy drinker I presume?"

"Not really, especially since the world changed."

"Well, we did drink a whole bottle of tequila together, so I don't blame your tolerance this morning."

"How are you so awake and cognitive after drinking that much?"

"Little secret, don't stop drinking." Simon laughed.

"Wait you drank more today?"

"Just a shot...Maybe two. It helps the hangover stay at a minimum."

"I think I'll pass on that."

"How about I head down to the canteen and grab breakfast? I can cook for you in your kitchen."

"That would be stealing from the other Saviors though, wouldn't you get in trouble?"

"I don't give a damn, you obviously aren't looking too great this morning, plus I know a good recipe to cure your hangover."

"Aw thank you so much."

"Go freshen up while I'm gone, I shouldn't be long."

You instantly got in the shower and scrubbed your hair with the warm water, it felt absolutely meditative. By the time you got out Simon returned with a couple of eggs, potatoes, and pancake mix.

"How'd it go?"

"There was no one in the cafeteria so it made it easier to grab."

"Whatcha planning on cooking?" You asked with eyes hungrier than your stomach.

"My mom's famous pancakes with hashbrowns and scrambled eggs, rest her soul."

"I really appreciate you doing this for me and I'm sorry for your loss."

"Don't worry about it. She passed before the world changed." Simon sighed while heating up the stove.

"Do we have any jobs to work today?"

"No. Today is Recovery Day. Usually the next day after a resource run we have the whole day off to heal from any injuries or in your case to mend from a hangover." He said while cutting up the potatoes.

"Perfect! I really needed this today." You laughed.

"How's your head feeling?"

"A tiny bit better, but still in a lot of pain."

"Here drink some more water." Simon reached over and refilled your glass.

"Why are you so friendly to me? If you don't mind me asking?"

Simon hesitated at first. "Honestly, you remind me a lot of someone I used to know when I was younger...they were close to me...and... never mind...something about you felt very familiar and I really enjoy your company."

A pause of silence filled the atmosphere for a brief moment until the sound of the whisk stirring the side of the bowl interrupted the stillness. "I really enjoy your company too, you're like my only friend here." You laughed.

"I can be more than just that." Simon giggled as he gave you the side eye, wondering if the extra shot of alcohol was talking.

"We'll have to see." You winked and played along.

This caused Simon to smile big and bright as he poured the pancake mix onto the pan. "Breakfast should be ready soon."

***

After a while of talking and little bits of flirting here and there, the food was ready to be served. Simon made you a huge plate and handed it to you in bed. As he made his way over to the other side of the bed to join you, he noticed the halfway-packed bag near the closet. "What's that bag for? Were you gonna leave or something?" He asked with his brows furrowed.

"No, I was packing early last night because I thought we had another resource run this morning. I wasn't sure if we were going to stay overnight again." You lied.

"Oh okay, our next run should be in a few more days."

"Sounds good. I can't wait to see the outside again."

"That's always my favorite part." Said, Simon. "But for now let's eat and try to feel better."

"I agree." You said as a wave of guilt rushed over you for lying straight to his face.