Chapter 10: Reassure

It was now morning

It was now morning. In the darkness it felt like a little touch of heaven, warm, together, cozy. Simon's arm wrapped right around you, bringing a peace you've never known before, a calming of the storms in your heart. Your eyes flutter open. In his embrace you start to believe that there is nothing out there to fear, that all the walkers are gone and this was a normal world. But then you shift.

"Simon..." you whispered as you gently shook him, trying to wake him. "Simon, come on. We need to head out." you urged shaking him more. This time it worked and he moved, tightening his grip on you for a moment before burying his face into your neck; sighing as he attempted to fall back asleep. You couldn't resist the slight chuckle escaping your lips.

As you lay in the same position, you think for a minute how life would've turned out differently if Simon had not of been there for you; in the beginning. How his asshole of an attitude molted into a man who shows some care in your well being. The fact that he was currently cuddled into your side. It felt amazing, however, the reassuring thought suddenly raddled your brain. I am still running.

You were reminded of the mission planned from day one of living at The Sanctuary. You can't be here, not much longer that is. Even though you've formed some sort of tiny bond with Simon recently, you had to escape but didn't wish to mislead him either.

Pleading to end these considerations, you pull away from his grasp and stood up for some fresh air. You uprooted the haul door open and enjoyed the temporary view of fluffy clouds as they glide across the pale blue sky; fading, the subdued moon sat redundantly behind them. The sun has awakened and is promptly emerging through the hazy sky. The cloudy layer created a pleasant blanket from the sun. Birds simultaneously tweet out to each other in a chorus, singing a soothing, melodic tune. A graceful robin flew swiftly by, flowing beside the gentle breeze, back to its vigilantly poised nest on the branch of a tree.

"Good morning pretty lady," you hear Simon from behind, causing your inspecting to catch his attention as your head turns towards him.

"Morning Sleeping Beauty!" you tease.

"How'd you sleep?"

"Good actually. What about you?"

"Like a baby," he says as he exits the haul. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just eager return," you say lightly smiling. You follow him out and hang back as he wakes up the other Saviors to prepare to travel to The Sanctuary. In the meantime, you enter the cabin and wait for Simon to start the engine.

***

Trailing up the familiar pathway, the first thing you see is the new and fresh walkers chained to the fence. Watching as their ajar mouths nibble the humid atmosphere. It gives you a shiver down the spine as you remember the events from last night. Home sweet home, you thought.

The Ford came to a strong halt and Simon jerked the keys from the ignition. He glanced at you and motioned his arm as if saying to 'come along'. You slide out of the passenger side and meet him towards the stern of the vehicle. "Help me unload the rations and bring them to the boss-man, please ma'am." You smirk up at Simon and nod your head; starting to unpack the haul.

The last box cradled in your forearms, the cedar wood scratching your skin roughly as you journey to the meeting room where Negan abided. Both you and Simon walk in with the rations, placing them carefully on the long table. The leader lurched forward with Lucille in her usual resting spot bordering his lap. "I see you two have returned with quite the find," said Negan.

Simon lifted a bottle of an alcoholic substance and presented it to his boss with a witty smile. "The finest Scotch in all the Land of the Dead!" Simon spoke proudly.

"And how was Little Miss First-Timer over there?" asked Negan.

"She did great."

"Wonderful," he grinned at you. "Now, Simon, a birdy came by and told me about the walker infestation on the road."

"And...?"

"And y'all could've come back last night. So why didn't you? Hmm? Are you really that delicate, Simon?"

"Sir, we had to stay because there were too many corpses and it was dark and pouring rain."

"I thought I taught y'all better than that. It was just a little fucking rain. I guess you are truly that weak, huh? You could've brought the rations quicker if you weren't fucking around!" Negan slammed his bat down and shouted furiously.

"Enough!" you yelled. "It was pitch black dark and raining like hell. Dozens of walkers scoured the road and the mud even slowed the tires down! Simon made good calls last night in choosing to stay!" Your patience wired thin. "Why would you jump him like this and say he isn't capable of doing what was right?"

Negan grabbed hold of the Scotch and told the two of you to get out. With no hesitation, the pair of you did so.

***

You decided to spend more time with Simon and go with him to his room. He had a secret stash of tequila under his bed that no one knew about...He poured you a half glass and began to speak: "I'm very sorry about earlier. Negan is almost always finding something dumb to argue with me about. He pisses me off a lot." Simon took a sip.

"He can certainly be a dick. There was no reason for him to verbally attack you, calling you out for having a different strategic plan than what he would have done."

"Exactly! The fucking ass. Sometimes I wish I was the one in charge and not the 'right-hand-man."

"Maybe one day you will be."

The rest of the day consisted of booze and mind-numbing ease. Simon ended up very drunk and slurring his words. It was quite the treat watching him become this huge loving teddy bear when he's wasted. You assumed he would be bitter and angry by his personality, but he really was a big softie after several shots of his favorite poison. Simon was the type of man that you enjoyed company from. When breaking a few walls and understanding his true self, he was transcendent.

When the evening of drinking turned into night murk, you tucked Simon in bed. Sitting on the edge, looking at his exhausted frame submerged in the eggshell white covers; ensuing within his tranquil slumber.

You smiled for a moment until you remember how you won't be seeing him much longer. The haunting of your destiny to escape The Sanctuary and move on from here. The gut feeling from your previous group still tells you to run like hell. Though they are gone, they would not want you dwelling with these Saviors. You understood that this current community was not full of good people and how Negan treats the surrounding camps like shit. Saviors are like dictators, which deep down you didn't want to be a part of. Although Simon was different around you. You didn't want to let him go that soon. Not just yet.

***

You decided to leave him be for the night and race back to your room where you needed to clear your head.