Chapter 2: Relent

You smile in return as your cheeks were stuffed with large helpings

You smile in return as your cheeks were stuffed with large helpings. You then notice and embarrassingly cover your mouth in order to swallow. "Hi," you say, trying not to seem like a pig while enjoying your meal. "I'm-"

"Y/N. Negan told me on my way here." Simon bluntly interrupted. "I see you've woken up after two days."

"Two days?!" you repeated, nearly choking on the water that you were in the middle of downing.

"Yeah," he spoke with long exaggeration. "You got knocked out pretty damn hard back at that farm."

Farm? You thought to yourself; no connection is made by this afresh news. "What happened to me? How did I end up at The Sanctuary?"

"You don't—Negan didn't tell you?" he asked in almost amusement while rubbing his mustache, raising an eyebrow.

"No, he said that he would explain things later...Could you at least enlighten me on what the hell is going on?" you retorted.

"Well, I wasn't there when it took place. All I know is that you came from a small farm nine miles south, and found unconscious. Brought here and resided knocked out for roughly forty-eight hours. Negan could enlighten you on more specific details if you'd wish." he spat.

Everything commencing to sink in like a boat whose hull ripped to shreds. Unpleasant pains surged through your stomach as you grew uncomfortable standing in the kitchen, now knowing bits of the story. The way these strangers 'kidnapped' you scared you more than anything. How they could've easily diverted you from something great. Did you have a group before? Were you alone? Did they steal you? Or possibly save you? No matter the case, you froze in shock. You weren't really the type to express fear, but you looked as if you've seen a ghost.

"Hey!" Simon's voice causing you to regain eye contact. "You okay?"

"I don't know..." you whispered.

"Let's get you to Dr. Carson." He wrapped a large arm around your body and led you into the hallway. You became sick and agitated, legs felt weak; unable to identify if this was an effect from unconsciousness or the terrorized fear you indulged. Either way, you felt like shit. Simon, on the other hand, seemed to be an asshole due to his tone and body language from moments ago. You immediately weren't fond of him and wished he would disappear.

***

The two of you trekked through different corridors and even ascended a flight of stairs until you reached an office filled with medical supplies. The door was wide open for anyone to enter. Simon knocked against the frame; alerting a gentleman who was seated at a desk. "Oh, she's awake!" the man exhaled in relief.

"Carson, this is Y/N. She woke up thirty minutes ago and started to look uneasy," said Simon.

"It's nice to meet you." you smiled lightly.

"You as well," the doctor grinned back. "Please sit. I need to do a little check-up."

You climbed to the top of an old hospital bed—feet dangling which barely lingered above the floor. Dr. Carson scooted closer, almost face-to-face as he observed you in the poorly lit room. After several minutes of no talking, you notice Simon went missing. You didn't care about his absence, only relieved he was gone for the time being.

"I'm sorry this happened to you." Dr. Carson spoke breaking the silence.

"What exactly?"

"You experienced blunt force trauma to the posterior portion of your cranium, which resulted in a two-day coma."

"Do you know what caused it or how?"

"I can't say for sure. You were rescued from a farm and quickly brought to my aid. Saviors rushed in explaining how you were found nearly dead on top of a bale of hay." said Carson. "Can you remember anything from the farm or after you woke up?"

"No. I have zero memory. I don't know if I was even alone or with a group...I did wake up in another room on the ground—you knew I was in a coma, why didn't anyone put me in a bed?"

"About that," Carson started. "On the day of your arrival, we had no rooms available. You see, we recruit and lose Saviors almost daily and not everyone has a bed to sleep in. I was instructed to carefully place you in one of our storage facilities—Lucky for you, a new room has opened up today."

"Why was Negan there when I got up?"

"Every other hour different people would check on you. To make sure you were alright and breathing. The time you regained consciousness, it happened to be the leader's shift."

***

Later in mid-conversation, a voice suddenly interrupted you and the doctor's chat. "How is she doc?" a hint of concern in their tone.

You glance behind Carson to see Simon, who returned and is leaning against the doorway. "Oh-uh, she is okay for now, but needs bed rest for the remainder of the day and tomorrow."

Simon stood upright and placed his hands around the belt encircling his waist. "Y/N's room is all tidied up and clean."

"Great. She'll need someone to watch her. After a while, she should be good to go." Carson said, now bringing his attention to you. "If you need anything, I'll be here in my office."

Simon helped you off the hospital bed, seeing how weak and dizzy you were. You managed to tell Dr. Carson thank you and started heading out where you'd be established. You both walked five rooms down from the infirmary and entered a well-sized living space which contained: a double bedded mattress, side table, kitchenette, and small open area.

"This is it," Simon smirked.

"It's nice," you spoke softly, taking in the scenery, and acknowledging insignificant details on the furniture.

"It was someone else's, but it's all yours now."

"Thanks for helping me get here, to the room, I mean. I know I can hardly walk." you laugh quietly at the end.

"It's no problem. Boss insists I look after you until you're well."

You gave Simon an indecisive look, not fully trusting him since the two of you just met within the past hour. Including his first impression of coming off as a slight dick didn't help the situation.

"I think I'll be fine. I'm not a little kid Simon!" you huffed.

"Just taking orders." he raised his arms in a playful surrender.

"I don't need a babysitter! I'm perfectly fine."

"Sweetheart...you literally woke up from a damn coma not too long ago."

"Alright." you gave in knowing you wouldn't win this fight.

Simon's brown eyes fixed onto yours; a genuine smile beamed across his features. The two of you grew lost in one another's stare until you started coughing. It caused your head to hurt worse than it already did. "Get some rest. I'll come back in a while—Oh and one more thing before I go." He leaned towards you and whispered essential advice about The Sanctuary in your ear that could come in handy later. But before you could even sit down on the rickety mattress, there was a knock at the door. You nod to Simon to open it. When he approached the exit you couldn't see anyone, only hear his and a woman's voice.

"Arat?" Simon questioned.

"Negan wishes to speak with Y/N now."