Chapter 12: Rotting

Three months later you find yourself still behind The Sanctuary walls

Three months later you find yourself still behind The Sanctuary walls. The seasons were starting to change from warm summer days to cooler autumn evenings. It reminded you of simpler times when your favorite holiday would come around as a kid. The leaves would wither and form new colors and fall off their branches. It was always a breathtaking sight to see. However, these days people don't particularly celebrate anything anymore.

As the weeks passed by your affinity with Simon grew closer. Each recourse run was more time to spend with him, and you relished every second. You were also starting to become more acquainted with the surrounding communities such as Alexandria, Hilltop, and your most favored, the Kingdom. You absolutely adored their Bengal tiger, Shiva. When the Saviors came to stop by she would become enraged and growl, yet, there was something about your presence that made her calm enough to scratch behind the ear, which she loved.

It seemed as though you were beginning to fit in more and more with the residents here, but it disturbed you at the same time. You knew deep down you didn't belong here with Negan and his men. You've even pondered sneaking away to live with the other communities, but you couldn't leave Simon, he is the only thing that can make you smile lately. No matter what you were always a loyal servant to the Saviors, trapped behind cold, isolated barricades, or so it felt.

The day started with you sitting on the edge of your bed sharpening a blade, getting ready for today's run. You hoped to visit your feline friend and maybe offer her a little treat on the way there. The door sounded with a couple of knocks. You told them to come in. Simon entered the room with exciting news.

"Y/N! We discovered a new settlement just west of here and we're heading there now!" He exclaimed with merriment.

"That's amazing!"

"I've got some intel on the location. A group of Saviors found it yesterday morning. It used to be a zoo called Ingwaz Zoo, meaning unity. Not that many people are living there, but they have managed to keep some of the animals alive in captivity, like goats, cows, and sheep, so mainly farming animals."

"We can use them to create our own farmstead."

"I like your thinking!" Simon stated as he leaned in to kiss your lips. You leaned in to fulfill his embrace, it was bold and passionate, and his mustache tickled a little. He broke away and met your gaze, "Pack a bag in case we stay the night there. Meet me by the trucks near the gate when you're ready."

Simon left you alone. Your knife was almost sharp enough. Once it was done, you got up and began filling a duffle bag of clothes, some food, and guns. You felt eager to explore a new community and meet fresh faces. Every time you visit a new establishment you still desire to make friends, but that usually never goes well with the people you journey with.

***

You notice Simon up ahead by the familiar white Ford E-350 that was parked in front of the convoy. You hiked over to him with your bag over your shoulder. Simon grabbed a hold of it and placed it in the haul of the truck. You thanked him for his kind gesture then the both of you hopped into the cabin of the vehicle. "I have another surprise." Said Simon as he dug into the glove compartment. "Haven't seen one of these bad boys in many years." He pulled an ancient rock CD out of the glove box.