|Wary Beginnings| Ch. 1

The roaring flames grew higher, heat becoming unbearable. The smell of burning and smoke smelled putrid. Fear was an understatement. Survival was slim. Senses alert. Pure instinct was the only thing driving to stay alive, the want to sleep away such an event clawed at the mind, but was always pushed away. Unwavering horror was jolted through the body as the flames came nearer at an unbearably slow pace. It was horrid. Blood pounding in ear drums, sense of hope slowly ebbing away as-

" Did you get that darling? "

'Huh?'

A voice broke you from your thoughts suddenly, causing you to jolt and stare blankly at the figure that sat before you. They were your therapist. Short brown hair that greyed with age thrown into a loose bun, a small button nose, slight wrinkles pulling at her skin, and a cheerful unwavering smile that could calm even the most distrustful of people. Why did you even need a therapist anyway?- Oh. That's why.

After a few moments of nervously staring at her, you let out a quiet cough and a jittery hum of confusion. She seemed to get the memo that you hadn't been paying attention to her previous speech, which made her roll her eyes- More in a cheerful mockery of sorts. She then spoke again, most likely repeating herself.

" Ah, spacing out again huh, (Y/n)? Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I must be boring. Anywho, I was just saying that if you wanted to give it a try, you should get yourself a small helping companion. It could do you some good, statistics prove that right. " She explained, absentmindedly turning her attention over to some papers which were haphazardly strewn on her desk, resorting to quickly- And neatly, stacking them.

" Com...panion? " You quietly questioned, slightly unnerved at the idea, giving the older women a confused look. You never really thought of yourself to be the type of person to have a pet. But you never really had such a reason for one, so it hadn't crossed your mind once until now.

Your therapist gave an overly energetic nod, quickly picking up a small clipboard from her desk. " Yup! Someone who could help you with your daily tasks maybe? Support animals are great for emotional support, along with helping people move on from traumatic events. What would you think? "

After a moment of hesitation and thought, your face turned somewhat neutral at the idea. " But... What about my mom? She should have a say,- " The older women ushered to you to calm down, as your speech was starting to become fast and wavering. " Don't worry, I'll discuss with your guardian and explain to her my idea. I can assure you that you should not worry dear, it's not such a bad thing. This could actually benefit you enormously. "

At that you slowly nodded, pulling your arms close to your chest, your hands rubbing up against your rough, somewhat jagged skin. Most of the tissue was permanently scarred, easily to pick out from the much lighter skin that thankfully was unscathed. But you shouldn't think about... That, now. At least your face wasn't that damaged, only a knick on your cheek and a scar below your bottom lip.

" Ok. Er- Thanks then." Was mumbled from your mouth, slowly pulling your arms down to your lap once again, wanting to sink into the chair you were sitting in, not really wanting to be any more sociable at the moment. The other women seemed to sense that, looking towards the clock and clasping her hands gently, then looked towards the door.

" Well, looks like this session is over deary, you've gotten quite a bit of progress in, might I add! Same time next week, don't forget. " She then said, standing up and ushering you out the door in a swift and gentle motion. She probably had a busy schedule, who knows how many other patients she had to speak with today. After a few seconds, you spotted your mom. She was sitting in the waiting room idly in the corner. As you walked over, she finally noticed you and smiled.

" Hey (Y/n)! How's my girl? Did everything go well? " She asked, quickly standing up and walking over to you. Your response was short, a curt head nod and a small smile.

" That's great hun, how bout' we go get- Oh, Mrs. Coral, how are you? " She started, but cut herself off as your therapist,- or Mrs. Coral, approached.

" Hello there (M/n)! I'm glad to see you. I've got some good news. " The old women said, gesturing to your parent. After that, the two adults started speaking quietly to each other, gesturing your way with glances every so often. As they spoke, you spaced out, looking around at the facilities lobby. The big room brought a feeling of nostalgia, cream-yellow walls with haphazardly coloured drawings taped down on them, probably drawn by younger children. The carpeted floor was a dark grey, with specks of different colours ruffled in. Dark, cushioned chairs lined the walls, along with a few tables with magazines sitting in the multiple corners. It was a nice little room, smelling like bleach and other cleaning detergent, just like any other building concerning welfare did.

It felt like hours before the conversing people beside you had stopped chattering, and your mom bringing you back down to Earth with a small nudge. You turned back to her, seeing that Mrs. Coral was now gone. Your mom stood in front of you, holding out a small pamphlet. After a moment of staring at it curiously, you took it.

" She said you were getting better at socializing today. That's good, you can't just become a hermit you know. I won't allow that. " Came your mother's voice right after, suddenly gesturing to the paper in your grasp. "- She also suggested to get you a little friend, one that could help you when I'm not around or at home? It's a good idea. Takes some stress off my chest. What do you think? Take a look! "

At that, you finally took a closer inspection at the item in your grasp, unfolding it. At the page, your eyes widened somewhat. 'Mama Cry's Little Helpers' Was typed in big, bold letters at the top, and a few different pictures of small, chibi-like creatures were plastered below, along with a care manual. They were apparently called 'Bittys' from what the paper itself said. You had heard of them before, but you were never really... Intrigued like the rest of society. Now that you actually looked through this though, your curiosity peaked somewhat. Somewhat. After a moment, you turned your attention back to your mom, about to shake your head no before seeing her happy face. She had been so worn and tired since everything had happened, maybe not having to worry about you so much could help her stress? You sighed, suddenly nodding in agreement with her. She seemed estatic.

" See, aren't they cute? A few of them have even been trained for the special occasions of assisting certain people, like service dogs, but not exactly of the sort. " your mom explained this with such happiness, that you started to feel guilt start to pile up in your stomach for almost denying the idea. Maybe this was a good idea? You didn't know.

" I was suggesting to get some Nice-cream now, since this week's appointment is done with, but I think I have a better idea. How about we go over to Mama Cry's and check the shop out? If you find yourself taking a liking to a little friend, then we might just get em', how about that? Does that sound okay with you darling? " Man, for a person like your mother, she talked A LOT. But you didn't mind it much, her voice always soothed your thoughts, so it was fine. You then spoke.

" Y-Yah...! " Was your stuttered reply, your voice somewhat of a silent, croaky sound. You hadn't exactly spoken much for a while, only small inputs here and there and with your therapist, so the quiet reply made your mom beam. With that, she grabbed your hand, and led you out of the building, and into the parking lot.

This would be fun.

________

Oof,- This feels so rushed even though it's not. I'm sorry. But I hope you guys enjoyed this first chapter? What type of bitty do you think you'll be getting? ;3

This was 1,300 and something words long. I wrote a bit of it in class. TwT I think it's decent. I can't wait to get the second chapter out though! See ya' later Gators!