Unlike her older sister, Tara, Colbie didn't enjoy the bad boy look. Instead, she much preferred the pretty boy that looked like he had stepped out of an advertisement for Hollister or Abercrombie. She loved the dark brown or black hair with the lightly colored blue or green eyes, but she still swooned for a pair of pretty brown eyes as well.

Despite never having gotten into any major trouble around Charming, Colbie was still often talked down upon; most people felt sorry for her mother and father because of Tara's rebellion, so they just assumed that Colbie would be just as much of a let down for them.

Tara was never around much when the pair was growing up, as she was normally out with Jax, her on and off boyfriend, so she never once witnessed the abuse that Colbie endured. There were also only a handful of times that Colbie was forced to tag along with Tara and Jax, but when she did, she was normally left to her own devices at the Sons of Anarchy clubhouse. She had been to a few parties that the club had thrown, quickly making friends with Opie, one of Jax's closest friends. He was only a couple of years older than her, so he was a lot easier to get along with than any of the other members. It was because of Opie that Colbie felt a little more at ease around the clubhouse, as a lot of the older members of the club would get drunk and try hitting on her, not realizing that she was underage.

When Mrs. Knowles first got sick, Colbie would be by her side any time that she needed anything. Something about wanting her mother's approval for once really made Colbie stick around a bit more, but it didn't stop her mother's abuse towards her. Instead, it may have only intensified it. By the time that the older woman was on her deathbed, Colbie had learned why she was always talked down to or smacked around; when she was born, Colbie learned that there were complications during the delivery. Because of these complications, Mrs. Knowles had to have a full hysterectomy and would no longer be able to bear children. As if it were something that she was able to control, Colbie was held responsible by her parents that she was the reason why the family never grew in size.

After the Knowles matriarch had passed away, Colbie tried to stay as far away from her childhood home as often as possible. Once her mother was gone, Colbie would soon find out that her father now blamed her for his wife's death as well, which was when the physical abuse began with him. It was also about that time that he found a new hobby: drinking.

Each night that Colbie had gone home to her father's house, she would find him in a drunken rage and become his punching bag for the evening, or he would be passed out in his favorite recliner in the living room with empty beer cans gathered around him on the floor. It was nowhere near a healthy living environment, Colbie knew that from a young age, but it was the only place that she was certain that she could lay her head down at night and sleep.

Her life throughout high school never got easier, as she was often looked at as a whore that was going to follow in her sister's footsteps and marry a Son. Unfortunately for Colbie, that also meant that no guy ever wanted to date her or even attempt to ask her out because of the intimidation that the Sons brought to the town. What belonged to a Son belonged to absolutely noone else.

By the time that Jax and Opie had pledged into the club, Tara had broken the male's heart and left to go to college in San Diego. She chose to move in with their father's cousin, ultimately never being heard from again. In Colbie's mind, she never cared much for her sister and only saw her as an extension of their parents and their terrible behaviors, so there was no love lost in her mind.

After Tara had left for college, there were many nights that her father's physical abuse became so bad that Colbie would call Opie to see if she was able to escape to his house for a night or two so that her wounds were able to heal before new ones were added. The pair quickly became best friends, hitting a rough patch or two when Opie began dating a new girl, Donna. But, as time would prove, Opie and Colbie only had a sibling type of bond, nothing romantic in any sense, so Donna eventually befriended the younger teen as well.