Chapter 30

Several weeks passed, all consisting of the same routine. Lord Carlos would take me on flights, testing out strange maneuvers, gradually leading us further and further from the city - as though making sure I wouldn't attempt to escape should no other dragons be around.

My nostrils flared. The only reason I'd never faltered to follow the lord's commands was the hope of escaping. Something that I'd likely only be able to achieve far away from Azarin and the many dragons it held within.

"Back to the city now," Lord Carlos declared, his voice barely audible over the roaring wind. Even as he stated the command, I felt him tug lightly on my chains, urging me to face the city. "Quickly, too!"

Without a word, I sped up, my wings slicing through the air easily. It wasn't long before I was expertly weaving through the mountains, and the city itself wasn't far from sight, the short journey a reminder that the gradual distance built up over the past two weeks was still dangerously close to the city. Too close to even attempt to escape.

Lord Carlos dug his heels into my flank, urging me to go even faster. "Land in Roger's Square."

Roger's Square. The plaza where Lord Carlos always waited for me in the morning, supposedly named after the king who had founded Azarin.

I drew in closer towards the city, my gaze sweeping across it. Dragons circled the skies around it - more than normal. Something was different. Breath caught in my throat, I curiously approached the city, darting around towers and even other dragons as I near the plaza.

A sudden snarl reverberated from the plaza, and even as I watched, a large green drake lunged at the guards surrounding him, hints of smoke coiling from his gaping jaws. When the guards remained still, he growled in undisguised fury - only to be prodded by a large red and gold drake.

For a moment, I feared that he would growl at her, too. But after a few long moments, he retreated away from the humans, his tail lashing behind him.

"Well, now that that's sorted with," Queen Azist's voice rang out from among the throng of humans and I tensed. Last time I'd seen her, she'd warned me away from my friend. I had no intention of so much as risking another conversation with her.

Barely restraining my own growl, I veered away from the plaza. Maybe I'd be able to circle around the city a few times and land when she left. Or perhaps even land a few streets away from the square.

"Now, Argentum," Lord Carlos yanked my chains. "Did I not tell you to land in the square?" Despite his words, his tone was harsh and cold, sending shivers down my spine.

Not daring to risk his wrath, I reluctantly twisted myself around, so that the square was within sight again. On the far side, the queen was addressing a large group of dragons, with many guards poised alongside her, all holding spears or sharp swords.

Dipping lower and lower, I flared my wings, slowing to land as far from the queen as possible. But Lord Carlos did not slide down my flank - instead he remained seated in the saddle, still firmly holding the chains.

"To the queen," he directed quietly, his eyebrows furrowed slightly. "It's bad enough that we're late."

I hesitated, eyeing the queen warily. It was all too easy to remember her warning me away from my only friend in the city, remember her threatening me. Would she do the same this time? Surely she couldn't punish me - I had avoided the copper dragoness after explaining to her what had happened!

Exhaling slowly, I stepped forwards, my talons scraping against the paved stone. All too quickly, I was standing beside the queen, whom had diverted her attention away from the dragons to glance at us.

"Lord Carlos," Queen Azist's voice rang through the plaza, demanding attention. "You're late. Again."

"My apologies, your majesty," he murmured, before adding boldly, "but I am here now."

The queen shot him a hard glare, before turning back towards the dragons. "As I was saying before, welcome to your new home."

New home. Which meant that all of these dragons had just been captured. My heartbeat sped up and I peered at the dragons hopefully. If they'd just been caught, surely they would be longing for escape, for freedom! Maybe they would turn against the city, allowing all of us to escape.

Suddenly, I peered at the dragons with renewed interest. There were only six dragons - but that was better than just myself. The green drake whom had snapped at the humans earlier would surely help! And that red and gold drake...

I froze. No. It can't be! There was no way he could be here, especially if Lord Raffael had warned the entire wing against Azarin!

But it was.

"Rutilus," I breathed, the name escaping me before I could stop it. The red and gold drake whipped his head towards me, his molten gold eyes widening.

"Ah, I thought you'd want to be here, Argentum," Queen Azist grinned at me, before shifting her attention back to the other dragons. "This here, is Argentum, one of our recent recruits who has been settling in well. She will take you to the Royal Caverns, where you will all sleep for as long as you stay here."

But I barely payed heed to her words, instead observing the other dragons. Hoping that I wouldn't recognise any more of them - which, much to my relief, I did not.

"Welcome to your new home," the queen finally finished, before purposefully striding away, most of the guards following her. It was only then that Lord Carlos scrambled down my flank, hastily hurrying after the queen. 

"Come. Follow me," I finally broke the silence, fidgeting slightly under the weight of the dragons' curious yet wary stares. There was no way I could even mention my plan to them surrounded by several more guards - who could surely understand what we were saying.

No. I would have to wait until we were alone. With no humans or dragons nearby.

Without wasting another moment, I leapt up into the air. Finally - I'd also found some dragons who could help me! Now, I'd have to find out how Rutilus had been captured. Why he'd been captured. Surely it wasn't coincidence that he, an imperial dragon, had been brought here only months after I had been.

*~*

1086 words

Hope you enjoyed! Please do drop a vote and/or leave a comment if you did. Next chapter will be out next Monday!

Thank you!