Chapter 11

Dragons edged away from the human who slowly approached us. Raking his gaze across each dragon, he rested his gaze on Kronx intently. "Why are you all here?"

But the dark blue drake did not answer immediately. Drawing his fangs in a silent snarl, the massive dragon glared down at the human through narrowed eyes. Even his own talons clenched, as his tail flicked back and forth behind him impatiently.

Did the human not realise that he was not welcome here? Or did he think that the icy blue dragoness would be able to hold all of us off?

Lord Raffael halted in front of Kronx, raising his head boldly to face the massive dragon. "We've been trying to reach you for ages, hoping for your help. With you, we'd be able to save Erakor easily!"

"And how many of us will die, defending your city?" Kronx tilted his head, his voice quiet but cold.

The human faltered, even as he blinked several times. But his hesitance only lasted a few moments - within seconds, he stepped closer towards Kronx, suddenly confident again. "No one will die," he declared, allowing his gaze to drift over each dragon again. "Your presence alone will astound them - and distract them. Breathe fire at them, for they will not know how to respond to so many dragons and an entire army. It will be done before you know it."

Kronx did not respond; allowing a heavy silence to settle over the cave.

"Please help - for me if not anyone else," Raffael broke the silence again. This time his voice was tired, but hopeful - pleading, even, as he added, "because of me, Argentum and Rutilus are free. As a result of that, so are all of you."

"Very well," the dark blue dragon relented, slowly clambering to his feet. "But after that, you will let us go. You will owe us nothing."

The lord hurriedly nodded, not daring to argue. "Follow me."

Uneasily, I watched as Lord Raffael strode out of the cave. Within moments, muffled wingbeats echoed through the cave; undoubtedly belonging to the icy blue dragoness as she carried the human away.

Dragons glanced warily across at each other, reluctant to move. Even Kronx remained where he was standing, although eventually he sighed in resignation. "Come on. Do this now, and they will leave us alone later."

Did he not realise that it could well be a trap? We knew that the humans had lied to us, claiming they'd freed all of the dragons yet were still hunting them. Saving their city could well be them making an attempt to capture us.

"Argentum," the elderly drake sighed softly, even as he neared the cave entrance. Few dragons remained inside now. "We must go."

"Not you," I held his gaze firmly. The humans would find it easier to capture him when he was unable to fly. Better that he stayed in here.

"Even I," the dark blue drake corrected, raising his head. "Even if I didn't fight, it is not safe for us in here anymore."

He was right. Now that Lord Raffael had found the cave, returning to it would be a risk. All of us had to leave the cave, no matter the reason.

"Don't fight," I pleaded, watching him carefully. "Start moving away from the humans. The more distance you put between them, the safer we'll be. But do take a handful of dragons with you."

Kronx said nothing, instead treading out of the cave soundlessly.

All of the wing was waiting outside. They remained quiet, watching Kronx readily. Wanting to hear what was to happen.

"Go with Lord Raffael," the dark blue drake declared, casting a glance higher in the sky. An icy blue dragon hovered above the mountain, with the unmistakable shape of a human was perching on her back. Both were watching us. Waiting for us.

I shifted uneasily. Somehow, even just their gazes made my scales prickle, and make the whole situation feel more like a trap.

Kronx tilted his head slowly, eyeing all of the dragons. A hint of smoke trailed from his nostrils. "Go on," he urged, and his smouldering gaze settled on me. "You too. I'll start heading north."

Before I could argue, or even plead for him to take one other dragon, he swung around and stalked away. Not once did he pause or glance back in our direction.

Anxiously, I stared after him. Did he realise that being unable to fly, he'd be unable to flee if anything attacked him? He'd be forced to fight back - and while he was massive and powerful, too many humans could bring him down and capture him.

"Argentum!" Rutilus called, swinging down beside me enthusiastically. Tilting his head slightly, he peered at me curiously. "You are coming, right? Lord Raffael's waiting for you. He's insisting that all dragons come - with the exception of Kronx, of course."

With a reluctant sigh, I leapt into the sky beside the red and gold drake. Now that Kronx had left, there was little reason not to go. Except... "What if it's a trap?"

"If it is, then we can burn Erakor to the ground!" Rutilus exclaimed confidently, fire burning behind his gleaming gold eyes. "Either way, we can use this to show the humans what we're capable of; why they don't want to get on our bad side."

From the corner of my eye, I saw Isaella stiffen, even as light glittered off her icy blue scales as she twisted her long neck around to stare at us. But the lord seated on her back was either not aware of her agitation, for he calmly smiled at Rutilus and I as we approached. Not a cold or sly smile, but rather, a genuine one. A smile that softened his normally serious face, and crinkled his eyes.

"Thank you," he murmured, and even his voice sounded grateful.

For a moment, I paused. Were my worries misplaced; was I wrong to doubt the lord's words? He might have claimed that the humans were after us, but maybe that was true.

And he was also the human whom had released me from capture.

Sudden guilt clawing at my heart, I turned my attention towards the mountains around us. Snow covered most of the large rocky ridges, but the valleys was almost untouched by the cold; with barely a trace of snow on any of the many trees, and small waves rippling across the surface of the lake.

"This way," Lord Raffael called, raising his voice over the wind.

Without another word, he led the way to Erakor.

*~*

1104 words

Hope you enjoyed! :D

Next chapter should be out some time next week.