ALMOST COMPLIMENTARY - 11:19

Comincia dall'inizio

Gabriel interrupted Leo, "I don't mean to rush your little fangirl moment but I'm not tryna be here longer than I have to."

Valeria spoke before Leo could, "You're right, let's go." She walked around the bar and into a hall with a curtain dangling from the headboard. Feeling a cool breeze, she stepped out into a dark alley, hearing footstep behind her, she brought up her wardrobe catalog and selected a green fur coat.

Valeria could hear Leo catching Gabriel up to speed to all things Sweven, including the fact that she had unlimited access. Valeria walked ahead of them, skipping the line that was at least a block long. All of the buildings surrounding them were skyscrapers. The night was so dark she couldn't see the top. The lights coming from the club were a neon purple and there was no sign on the door. There were two entries to the club and she wasn't sure which to take. Valeria could hear Leo rambling on as she flashed her passport to the bouncer, "They're with me."

She saw him nod, so she walked back to the boys.

" ... is blue. It's almost complimentary." Leo finished.

"What does that mean?" Gabriel asked.

"You're conflicted in your decisions, distraught."

"I propose we split up," Valeria projected, interrupting his observation.

Leo stopped what he was saying. "You sure?"

She nodded, "We'll cover more ground that way. Two of us take one side and one takes the other."

"One of us should go with him," Leo suggested. "First day jitters."

She nodded, "I can."

"You sure?"

"Of course," she chirped. "Left or right?"

Gabriel shrugged, "I'm cool with left."

"Alrighty," she turned around, walking up the steps with the boy close behind her. She turned to Leo, "See you on the other side."

"Meet at the bar?"

"What if there's more than one bar?" Gabriel asked.

Valeria paused, "I have my map, we'll find you if you can't."

"Okay," Leo breathed, glancing at the right entrance. "See you on the other side."

She saw him disappear into the purple fog. She shook her head, "Here's goes nothing."

Gabriel trailed behind her, she could hear his footsteps but she couldn't see what was in front of her as the music got louder and the lights began flickering so much she thought she'd have a seizure.

Making out the dance floor people were dressed in back but with little to no clothes on. When she caught sight of Gabriel, she put the coat back into her wardrobe, his along with it, and selected something more appropriate.

"Are we at a rave right now?" Gabriel shouted over the blaring speakers.

"Looks like it," she gave him a sympathizing look, scanning her map and zoning in on a blueprint of the building. "We should go upstairs."

Gabriel followed her to the elevator, no questions asked. They could still hear the music and feel it against the walls of the shaft. Valeria could see the bass vibrate against the carpet of the walls.

The buttons didn't have numbers, they had themes. Her eyes flitted the rows of words but ORION caught her eye.

The shaft jerked upward the second she made her selection. She pressed her back up against the wall, tilting her head, "We're gonna find her."

Gabriel was staring at the floor, "You said we gotta find the tiara right? Then what?"

She parted her lips, "I didn't get a full run down but Teresa gave me the impression that once Star gets ahold of it, everything ends ... goes back to normal."

"Sounds sketchy," he ran his fingers through his hair. "Everything about this place seems sketch."

She shrugged, "Maybe but, it sure is beautiful."

Gabriel squinted his eyes before the elevator doors opened and they stepped out of the shaft.

At the first sound of classical music, she scrolled through her wardrobe to find black tie attire. She found a red satin dress for herself and nice black fitted suit for Gabriel. She could tell he was confused when she wrapped her palms in thin clear handprints that in the light was full of ones and zeros. She ran her hands through her hair and it dyed it a medium brown color. She waved her hands to the side, shaking off the ones and zeros to dismiss the coding.

Gabriel was in awe, "Okay, that's awesome."

She grinned, "Come on, we have to blend in."

She took his hand, hurrying down a corner and entering a ballroom. "How come I can't hear you heels when we run?"

"Oh," she caught her breath, brushing her hair out of her eyes. "All my shoes are soundless."

She stepped up to a table, taking a glass of champagne from a waiter along with her. She scanned the room. They were mostly men, laughing, drinking, acting rambunctious. She'd seen plenty of them along the isle of Saint Sebastian many times before. "Fuck," she said loud enough only for Gabriel to hear.

He took a sip of champagne, "What?"

"This is a clan gathering — "

"My liege."

She turned around and forced a smile at the sight of an older man with salt and pepper hair, smiling at the sight of her. "It's been some time."

"King Roma," she forced her tone along with a smile. "Hi."

"The last time I saw you was, no — you were asking the witches about the diadem," he recalled, giving her a smirk. "That was, what? Two months ago in RL?"

"RL?" Gabriel asked.

"Real life," her voice and grin were still stressed. "Silly thing that diadem."

"Really? Because I've got some intel I think you'd be interested in," he took a sip of his drink. "That is if you're still looking for it."

Her smile faded, "What do you want for it?"

"I heard you're in with the senator — "

"Never met her."

" — in RL." He finished, analyzing her facial tics. "I hear she uses different faces every now and again."

Valeria shrugged, "I'm just here for the free booze."

He chuckled, making sure no one else was in ear shot, "I'm not clanned up or anything, you can check my passport."

"So?"

He sighed, looking over his shoulder, "The diadems' at the Whein."

Valeria froze before grabbing him by the neckline and touching Gabriel's shoulder, "Take us to Alister."

"Back so soon?" She heard Alister's voice, seeing his silver tone in the corner of her eye.

She let go of Roma, realizing Gabriel did exactly what she'd said. "Are you insane?"

"I saw it," he blurted out, stunned that they were at the cottage. "The diadem, I've seen it."