Ch. 17 Daze of Our Lives

Start from the beginning

I just needed to get the hell out of that gym.

*******

Taking a deep breath, I slammed the door of my locker shut, slinging my backpack over my shoulder and tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

Two restless nights after the stressful events of Friday’s homecoming game and I wasn’t exactly thrilled or prepared to be at school so early in the morning on a Monday.

Joy.

I reached my hand into the front pocket of my skinny jeans, fully prepared to pull my phone out and check how much time I had until the first hour of the day began.

Before I got the chance, however, I felt a pair of arms slink around my waist from behind, pulling me into the chest of their owner.

I made a small squeak of surprise, my mind instantly jumping to a mental image of Logan Hayward.

I heard a familiar low chuckle, followed by a raspy voice as it spoke into my ear. “Wow, Nash. Bit jumpy today. Missed me?”

Turning my head with a wild-eyed expression on my face, I caught sight of Justin’s face as he leaned his chin on top of my shoulder, shooting me a cheeky smirk in the process.

Closing his eyes, he pressed his lips against my cheek in a kiss, pulling apart after a moment to smile down at me in greeting.

“Hi,” I replied breathlessly, my heart hammering against my chest from the minor shock I’d just received and my eyes undoubtedly still widened in an ‘I-don’t-know-what-the-hell-to-do-right-now’ kind of stare.

I hadn’t seen Justin since Friday night before the whole Logan Hayward fiasco had gone down, and as many times as I’d fearfully imagined what my encounter with him was going to be like when he first returned from Toronto, I had no idea that it would be occurring this soon.

And, as a result, I was in utter shock mode.

“How’s it going?” Justin asked, eyeing my wide-eyed stare with a slightly strange expression but seemingly choosing to ignore it.

“Fine.” I stated in reply, quickly warping my face into a relaxed state and sending him a reassuring smile. “Good, you know.”

“Good.” He replied, smiling at me.

Evidently, he had absolutely no idea about anything that had happened this past weekend. 

“How was Toronto?” I asked, absentmindedly pulling at my hair and attempting to keep an expressionless face as I stared up at him.

He took a deep breath, letting it out slowly as he ran a hand slowly through his own hair. “Uh...” He shrugged with one shoulder. “I mean, you know, it was fine. I guess. It was...weird, interviewing all these...couples. You know? All these...older people who were so anxious to talk to us.”

I nodded my head in understanding.

“And of course it was annoying having to spend an entire weekend with Aubrey, but thankfully Kenny was there too, for security reasons, and...surprisingly...she actually wasn’t all that unbearable this weekend. We actually kind of got along.” He let out a small chuckle, shaking his head. “It was weird.”

I felt my heart sink, my stomach making a tiny swooping sensation.

I knew it wasn’t fair to him for me to be feeling this way, but I couldn’t help but feel a little bit disappointed at hearing that.

Because honestly...Aubrey had spent virtually all of last semester trying to make my life a living hell.

I would never forgive her for that and never in the slightest like her.