XVIII

↱"We are our choices

"We are our choices."

- Jean-Paul Sartre.

the 57th exterior mission pt. 2/minutes before the expedition/seconds after the capture

Levi's words rang through Katerina's head as she stood upright leaning against a thick tree trunk. 

We're trying to flush out a traitor. 

Erwin said not to. 

Now that they had captured the Female Titan, his words were starting to make more and more sense, but that didn't stop resentment or bitterness toward him for not confiding in her or the squad.

She was trying to convince herself that she wasn't special and that Levi had no reason to share information with her. 

She was, however, having new and worsening thoughts on Erwin.

Erwin Smith was by far the smartest man she had ever met. Seldom men make history and change the world by focusing on the lives of a few. 

Erwin was one of these monumental historic men who would one day be remembered for reopening the frontier of mankind against the Titans. 

He was able to calculate, imagine, and, construct any situation, not to even mention the scheme he had entwined Levi and herself in. This was not a feat he would accomplish by spending lonely nights thinking about the men that have died under this command.

This didn't mean she had to be happy with the fact that these trivial lives included her, Mikasa, Armin, and Eren.

And Levi.

"Stand up, Eren," she muttered, kicking him softly with her leg. 

Eren was lying lazily on the tree trunk with his eyes wandering to the sky. She wasn't being harsh, she just wanted him to be prepared for anything.

"Calm down mama bear," Oluo teased, ruffing Eren's hair as he stood up. "After what we went through, he's allowed to relax a little. To think that this kid ever doubted the power of the Elite Squad."

"Oh, Oluo," Petra sighed with her head resting on Katerina's shoulder. She too was also tired after the ordeal they had been through, and she took a second to close her eyes and relax against Katerina.

Katerina didn't mind, she had always taken a nurturing role with the kids, it felt as though her heart was beginning to grow and multiply with the connections she made with the squad.