Chapter 13 - Major Debrief

Start from the beginning

"I've lost some excellent soldiers these past couple of days, and some of them were my friends. I find my unit is severely depleted and I'm expecting my Corporal's to take charge until I receive my new request for personnel. The question is what the hell happened for me to be in this position?" She ranted.

Jason kept quiet knowing that it was a rhetorical question.

"Corporal Westwood has given me fantastic insight into the last couple of days and of you, the man who took charge!" There sounded like a bit of resentment from her as she emphasised the word.

There was no way that Jason was going to allow her to just take Westwood's word without hearing his side of the story.

"With all due respect ma'am.."

"With all due respect Corporal, you speak when I give you permission to do so." She interrupted him, giving him a stern reprimand in the process.

It filled the room with an uncomfortable air of silence.

"I've also received reports from Private Schuldermann, Private Jacobs and Lance-Corporal Okafor. All four reports are extremely similar to Corporal Westwood's therefore I will take his word as gospel." The Major took a swig of her drink before sitting back down at her desk, it was the first time her stern gaze caught that of Jason's cold glare.

She continued "All of them have stated that if it wasn't for your exemplary leadership and direction it is likely that the 223rd would not exist today and if were not for your actions Private Gisseux and Lieutenant Daniels would be dead. It appears I owe you thanks for bringing what's left of the team home."

Jason was stunned by the unexpected praise. He had been completely out of the loop since he had returned from the surface, spending most of the time in the infirmary.

"Not only that," the Major continued "Corporal Westwood heaped praises on you."

Jason couldn't believe what Major Greenwood had just said, was this a joke?

"His exact words were, 'Under Corporal Scharn's leadership we survived unbelievable odds. His decision making was exceptional and precise. We may not always agree on things and sometimes our differences can be explosive, however, I would gladly follow his lead again into battle.'"

Jason was unable to comprehend what was happening. Gisseux and the Lieutenant had survived when it seemed certain that they wouldn't and now Westwood had sung his praises. He half expected the Major to say it was a dream, pinch him, and then for him to wake up to go through the briefing once again.

The Major continued "You may have changed the tide of the battle for this planet. It was looking like we would not be able to establish any beachhead until you gained control of that outpost. It's not much, but we've managed to get a few hundred troops down there already and plans are underway to get more. Corporal Scharn, you have been put forward for a commendation for bravery and leadership. While we have a Sergeant's position available, it is not possible to provide you with that necessary promotion due to your limited service within the USM. However, you will be placed on the necessary courses so when the time comes that option will quickly become available."

She smiled, a sight that Jason could not remember her ever doing, it was surreal considering he didn't feel like the last few days had provided anything for him to celebrate about.

Thoughts of the gut-wrenching trip to the surface flooded his mind. The twisted contorted bodies he woke up to in the crashed dropship, almost being overrun by a superior force and finally the immobilising fear he felt when seeing Aurora's devastating injury. These thoughts clouded his mind, digging their way into his very soul. None of the commendations, the praise, the success would matter without knowing what happened to his closest friend.