•Chapter Thirty Two•

Coming back to my hotel room the only thing that was on my mind was sleep. I felt like an exhausted mother of five with a worthless husband who did nothing but play video games all day and eat the kids' snacks. However, despite my exhaustion the trip had proven to be a success. Today was Friday and I had managed to accomplish all that I'd had planned for both companies. One of them turned out to be in perfect order and, following the audit trail of the other, it wasn't hard to uncover the fact that the owner's son was swindling money. It was beyond me that their in-house accountant didn't pick up on it, but I wasn't complaining, their incompetence was my gain.

Kicking off my heels, I was about to flop dramatically onto my bed but was barred from doing so by an assortment of gifts. There were roses, chocolate, a bottle of champagne and a card. Picking up the card, I read that it was from Mr. Royden-- the same man I found out his son was embezzling money from. He looked to be about late sixties, though he still had all of his hair and carried himself well. He was obviously a ladies man in his prime, two of his wrinkled fingers on both hands were adorned with gold rings, while a gold watch and hand chain adorned his wrist. His neck and ears weren't void of expensive jewelery either. Pops thought he still had his charm as he tried to woo me with his played out lyrics every chance he got. He was respectful though, especially since I told him I was married, so he didn't make me uncomfortable at all.

Setting aside Mr. Royden's gifts, I settled on the bed and whipped out my cellphone to check on my boys before I really got situated and lost the zest to communicate with anyone. First, I called Lance, hoping to get in contact with Ameer but my calls went unanswered. I then called Ameer but he too wasn't answering. Dialing Shawn's number, the phone only rang twice before he answered in a chipper mood.

"Hey Mrs. Jordan, how are you?" He asked, his warm smile was infectious as we were on a video call.

"Hey boo. I'm super exhausted but I have no complaints."

"What about you, how was your day?" I inquired.

"My day was okay, would've been better if I had my wife here." He said, winking at me.

I chuckled, "That's sweet, you're acting like I've been gone forever."

"Even a day away from you seems like forever babe." He was on a roll tonight. After conversing a bit longer I asked him asked him about Ameer since he usually texted me at mornings wishing me a good day but I hadn't heard from him today. On top of that neither he nor his father was answering my calls.

"He's sleeping." Shawn said casually which caused me to raise an eyebrow at him.

"Shawn, Ameer isn't sleeping and why is he even home? I thought he was suppose to be with Lance today."

"How are you gonna tell me he's not sleeping?" He questioned, he almost seem annoyed. I also noticed he ignored the latter part of my question.

"Because, I know my son. He hates sleeping early, especially since today is Friday."

"Can you please just go give him the phone." I commanded rather than asked. I had no idea why he was being so difficult all of a sudden. Reluctantly, he made his way upstairs and handed Ameer the phone.

"Hey baby." I smiled and greeted once his face graced the screen. However my smile faded once I noticed he was just staring at me with a stoic appearance.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Still no response. I instantly became concerned. The only time Ameer shut down like that was when something was bothering him. Before I could get form another sentence tears oozed from the corner of his eyes.

"Ameer, it's okay. You can talk to mommy, what's bothering you?" I questioned gently. I was on the verge of tears myself. I hated seeing my baby sad.

"My daddy got locked up." He managed to say between sniffles.