•Chapter Fifty Six•

Life had a funny way of buttering you up before leaving you to grapple with the loss your happiness and sanity. As I sat in the nursery with Ameer preparing to set up the twins' cribs I couldn't get my mind to focus on the task at hand. Last week had been nothing but bliss. I came back home safely to my family from my trip to France, and celebrated Mia's maternity with family and friends.

Late lastnight, we had been going through the photos from the shoot as well as sorting through all the gifts that Mia had received from the shower plus the stuff that I had bought when she began complaining about a headache. Deeming it something trivial and much to my disagreement she decided to sleep it off. However, she had gotten up earlier this morning, indicating that it hadn't subsided and she wasn't feelling well. Unwilling to risk her and the babies' health I took her to Dr. Peters immediately.

Obviously unable to pinpoint what was wrong just by looking at her, Dr. Peters ran some tests and instructed us to return in two hours which felt like the longest two hours of my life. I left Mia upstairs to rest, not wanting to stress her out with my anxiousness but there was nagging feeling in my stomach that wouldn't go away. I felt a strong urge to roll a blunt to numb my thoughts but there was no way I'd do that with Ameer at home.

"Dad, are you okay?" Concerned etched across his face.

"Yeah, lil man I'm cool. Go pack your bag okay?" Mia and I agreed for him to spend some time at her dad's house, just in case we received unfavorable news.

"Okay." He hopped off the floor and headed to his room. I got up as well abandoning the task at hand. I spent the rest of my downstairs watching television. I wasn't much of a drinker but I took two shots of the whiskey someone had given me as a congratulatory gift when I landed my new job. I was beyond frazzled. With fifteen minutes left before the two hour stipulation expired we decided to get a head start on our journey, especially since we had to drop off Ameer.

The drive was filled with silence. I tried my best to remain calm not wanting to worry Mia. The concerns glances she kept stealing at me let me know she wasn't buying my pacified demeanor. We pulled into the parking lot of Dr. Peters office fifteen minutes after dropping Ameer off. Once we were informed that the doctor was still seeing a patient, we took a seat in the waiting room. Mia held onto my hand and laid her head on my shoulder. She too had been anxious. I said a quick prayer in my mind asking for strength. Right now I was wavering and I needed to be strong for my family.

"Ms. Daniels, Dr. Peters will see you now." The office assistant informed after ten agonizing minutes of waiting. Leading Mia down the hall to the familiar office we were greeted by a smiling Dr. Peters. I don't why she was so cheery and we were damn near losing our minds.

"Good to see you guys again." I helped Mia get on the paper covered bed.

"A'mia, have you been feeling any better?"

"I don't have much of a headache anymore but I still don't feel one hundred." Dr. Peters' face still held a pleasant look as she nodded her understanding and placed the cuff of the sphygmomanometer over Mia's arm to check her blood pressure.

"So tell me, have you been stressed lately? Maybe at work?"

"No, I haven't been working as much as I used to. There's honestly been nothing bothering me." The doctor nodded her head again as the cuff inflated then deflated.

"Well, your blood pressure is above normal. That was also the case when you came in earlier this morning. I'm going to need to monitor you closely." I swallowed the last drop of moisture left in my mouth, it was beyond parched. Dr. Peters instructed Mia to lay back while she retrieved her file. I couldn't even look Mia in the face for fear that I'd lose what little control I had left of my composure.