•Chapter Forty Five•

2 months later...

April 18th was the day that had been chosen for me to grace the world with my presence and today happened to be that momentous day. I woke up in an extra chipper mood, grateful that my life had been spared for thirty two years. After offering a prayer of thanks, I felt the other side of the bed only to be greeted by an empty, cold spot. I got up in search of Lance until it occurred to me that not because I took the day off meant Ameer did too. Lance had probably taken him to school, the sticky note on the fridge confirm my suspicions. Relief had washed over me knowing his whereabouts but I wasn't totally settled. I had been raving over my birthday for weeks and he hadn't even left breakfast or at least shot me a text. I figured he'd come back, but quickly dismissed the thought as my eyes landed on the stove's digital clock. He would be headed straight for work once he dropped Ameer off. Maybe he'd call once he gets to work, I thought. He couldn't possibly forget my birthday.

As the time rolled by, the more I convinced myself that he had indeed forgotten my birthday. The clock had struck noon, still no call, text, nothing. Rather than sit around the house, I decided to treat myself to a spa date and a hair appointment. I wasn't about to wait on Lance to help me enjoy my day. After taking a quick shower, I got dressed, grabbed my purse and set out to enjoy my special day, alone.

After my pampering at the spa, I sped to the hair salon, desperately needing to make it to my appointment on time since I had been informed that today was a busy day and I had been lucky that they were able to squeeze me in. Pulling into the parking, I literally ran into salon with one minute to spare. Once I indicated to the young lady at the front desk that I did have an appointment, I sank into the designated stylist's chair and tried my hardest to catch my breath.

It was unbelievable that I used to run track. I decided on getting a sew in with slight curls at the ends. It had been a minute since I did a protective hairstyle and, Té and I planned on going out later after I ranted to her that my so called man had forgotten my birthday.

By the time I left the salon it had been almost five hours since I had been out the house. Pulling into my driveway, I stayed seated behind the wheel even after parking. I admired my newly done acrylic coffin nails and offered a smile of satisfaction as I peered at myself in the mirror. My hairstylist did her thing and I felt a thousand times better. I was even more hyped for my outing with Té.

Hopping out the car, I sashayed to the front door. Unlocking it, I stepped inside and focused my attention on the carpeted floor once I felt something unusual brush against my toes. There was a trail of rose petals. I followed it, until it stopped directly infront of my bed. A black garment bag rested in the middle of the bed, a yellow sticky note attached at the front. A smiled spread across my face once I read it.

I know you didn't really think I'd forget your special day. You always say I'm annoying so I had to live up to the title and piss you off a lil bit. I picked out a lil somn for you to wear, hopefully you like it. Be ready by 7:00, I got multiple surprises for you tonight.

Love Lance.

Tucking the note in my jeans pocket, I unzipped the garment bag eager to see what Lance had gotten for me to wear. Pulling the dress out, I held it against my body and looked at myself in the full length mirror. An approvingly smile graced my lips, he had done a great job with picking my outfit. However, it slowly disappeared once I realized that I'd have to cancel my outing with Té. Dialing here numbee I hoped that she wouldn't be too upset.

"Hey bestie! I'm so excited to hang out later, it's been a minute." I gnawed on my bottom lip trying to come up with a good way to let her down easily. However, I ultimately settled on the truth.