“Is… Is everything okay?” I asked hesitantly, smoothing my hair down by instinct, which happens when lots of people stare at me. They shared a look and beamed at me, showing their pearly white teeth. Ahh…

“Perfect, I swear I’ve never seen someone put him in his place!” Lara exclaimed, clapping her hands, Trent just stayed silent and was looking back and forth between us, he smirked at Blake and mouthed whipped. I chuckled as Blake glared at his non-blood relative uncle, giving him a dirty look.

“So, what is it you kids came for?” Trent questioned, I nudged Blake when he started twiddling his thumbs, concentrating hard on them.

“We need your help, it’s about the council” I started.

“Oh no, not those scum bags!” Lara moaned, Trent rolled his eyes and patted her knee.

“What do you need help with?” Trent asked, shooting Lara an amused glance.

“Bringing them down” I stated, waiting for their reaction, I felt Blake tense up next to me and he subtly moved closer to me on the small couch. His big frame already took up ¾ of the space; I barely fit as it was.

Already, though, Trent burst out laughing.

“Are you guys serious? And for what reason would this be for?” he choked on his laughter, only to be abandoned by Lara. She stood up and walked over to our couch and sat on the armrest next to me.

“I want to help; you know those idiots only cause more problems” Trent stopped and looked at her in disbelief. “Don’t even think about using your voice on me, we talked about how you should use it, just because it works on me doesn’t mean you can use it” she growled as Trent’s voice died out, the words he was about to say dried up.

Busted.

“But…” he breathed, “You’ve got to be kidding me, I’m your mate, you shouldn’t be going against me”

“Exactly, you should be supporting me” Lara reasoned, not budging from her seat.

“Lara” Trent growled, I felt a bit of his Alpha voice leak through and I saw the conflict in Lara’s eyes. She glanced at Trent, biting her lip; I saw her clutch the couch so she wouldn’t walk over to him. “Come. Here-”

“No!” I roared, standing up and letting my growls fill the air. My wolf was coming through and I’m sure everyone could feel it. Trent jumped up and started growling at me as well, the room was now filled with growls, none of us backing down.

“Back down!” He warned, using his full Alpha voice, glaring at me viciously, I just turned my growls up and glare at him back. I heard Blake gulp from behind me; I took a step towards him, Trent did the same. Trent seemed startled that I didn’t back down from his voice, I only let my voice fill with more power.

“No. Your mate specifically asked you not to use your Alpha voice on her, yet you still did!” I boomed, watching with satisfaction, the slight twitch of his face showing me the effect my voice had on him. “Do you ever let her have her own opinion, or do you control her thoughts as well?” I provoked, waiting for him to snap.

“Of course not!” he snarled, clenching his fists.

“Well, let’s ask her” I suggested, leaving no room for objections. “Lara, does he?” I asked, turning around to stare at her, Blake was standing on the balls of his feet just in case something bad happened. Although I knew not backing down to an Alpha was a bad move, especially when you’re on his territory and not a proper Alpha yourself, even though I had the blood of one.

“What?” she murmured, avoiding Trent’s eyes. It was amazing how confident someone could be until they were either yelled at or an Alpha voice came into the conversation, luckily for me I had the voice so it didn’t affect me.

“Does he forcefully try to change your opinion?” I questioned, waiting for her response.

“Don’t answer, Lara!” Trent cut in, eyes wide with an unknown emotion lurking in them.

“Shut up!” I barked, “You’re doing it again”

“Well…” Lara began, looking towards the roof. “Sometimes, if he really doesn’t like an idea of mine” I gave Trent a disapproving look, something that was rarely seen since I was a teenager he was almost forty years old.

“Lara!” he snapped, she flinched.

“I’m sorry!” she blubbered, tears gathering up, “but it gets frustrating when I can’t express my own opinion…” she trailed off. Trent’s figure softened and he took a deep breath.

“Damn, okay, I won’t use it anymore on her. I hate it when people gang up on me” he grumbled. I frowned at how easily he gave up, but didn’t let it bother me, it wasn’t my problem that he used his Alpha voice; I was just getting him to see how it affected the people around him.

“Now that we’ve got this sorted out, I’d like you to see my proof” I confidently chirped, bringing out my already turned-on laptop. I sat down on the couch and saw Lara sit down next to Trent again, her posture relaxed, it seemed she went through this a lot. Blake next to me was looking between the couple and had a weird expression on his face.

“Never seen them like that. They were always the perfect couple” he whispered so only I could hear. I nodded and opened the files to the documents.

“Nobody’s perfect, some people are just better at hiding it than others” I replied, bringing up the documents. “Knock yourselves out” I gestured to the documents on the screen; Trent carefully picked up the computer and clicked on the files.

It was pretty funny to watch his facial expressions, at first it was calm as if he thought it was a bunch of trash, then it was slight shock and finally it looked like he was watching a zombie apocalypse unfold right in front of his eyes.

I can’t blame him for it though.

“OK…” Trent muttered, running a hand through his hair. I tilted the right side of my lip up and shrugged my shoulders.

“Do you believe us or not?” Blake butted in, getting down to business. I rolled my eyes, way to kill the tension in the air, Blake.

“It just seems so unlike the council to do something like this, I mean, it’s on paper-”

“No bull, Trent, it has been scanned, what did you think they write on, wax tablets?” Lara rolled her eyes, her humour making me smile, bull? Blake chuckled but Trent just gave Lara a warning glance.

“It just seems so fucking unlikely-”

“Don’t swear!” Lara snapped, her face contorting in anger. No wonder she didn’t say the word, shit. She doesn’t fucking- I mean, horse-licking swear.

‘Where the hell did you get, horse-licking from?’

Somewhere, now either help me or piss off. I even wondered where I got it from, it was just in my head.

“Do you believe us?” I asked slowly, waiting for an answer. Trent seemed to be thinking it over and finally he looked to have come down to a conclusion.

“Yes, I believe you” he finally decided, I let out a gush of air and punched Blake in the shoulder. “The only reason why I didn’t say no was because you stood up against me, I believed the documents but your courage makes me think you won’t stop at nothing to bring them down, it’s not every day that a person who is not a proper Alpha, stands up against the Alpha to the second biggest pack on the continent. My pack will help”

I grinned at Blake and fished his phone back out from my bra.

“You can have it back now” I grinned, he scowled at me but I saw the sides of his mouth twitch up in amusement. He took the phone from my grasp and shoved it in the back pocket of his black jeans.

“Thank you” I did a salute with my index and middle finger, “We shall be seeing you soon, come on, Blake, I’m hungry” I whined, picking up his car keys.

Next stop, the Dawn pack. 

DeathxDemon