Two Vessels, One Soul

Start from the beginning

"And who the fuck gave you those clothes in the morning?" He asks, bending down, so that his face is at the same level as mine. I turn my head slightly to the left. Manik's too close for comfort. 

"C-Chachi," I whisper, my heart hammering against my chest.

"Exactly!" Manik yells, throwing his arms in the air. "You've seen Chachi's size, and so I'm sure you can tell that they don't belong to her. Guess whose they were? My Angel's!" Manik has spoken enough to make me realise the stupidity of my plan. I divert my gaze towards the ground. God, please let a blackhole open up underneath my feet and suck me into it. In this situation, I feel both embarrassed and guilty. Thanks to my uncontrollable curiosity, I got Manik's hopes up uselessly, and now I cannot even fathom what he's undergoing.

"I-I'm sorry, Manik," I say, truly meaning it. Hesitantly, I bring my hand up to his forearm, only to have him jerk it off harshly. 

"I don't need your fucking apologies." He says, turning around and heading away from me. 

"Manik!" I call out, wishing I could rewind time and decide against implementing my stupid plan. I have not achieved any ground, and now I have also hurt my friend deeply. "Manik, please don't go." I beg, my hand fisting around the side of my kurta. "Manik," I call out, desperation dripping from my tone. "I cannot lose you today as well!" This causes him to halt in his tracks. My friend looks at me over his shoulder, his eyes clouded with pain. He shakes his head disappointedly. 

"I'm sorry," I say, tears blurring my vision. "I really am." Momentarily, Manik's eyes flit to something above my head. "I'm sorry that I let my curiosity - "

"Shut up!" Manik yells, his eyes wide, as he continues to stare at the spot above my head. 

"I know that you don't even want to look at me - "

"Move!" Manik yells, but his words fail to register in my head. All I wish to do in this given moment is provide Manik an explanation for my careless behaviour. 

"Manik, I should've listened to you when you - "

"Would you fucking move?" He yells, interrupting me once more. This time, he breaks into a run towards me. I furrow my brows, confused at his sudden change of actions. "Move, Angel!" Manik's eyes flit back towards something above my head. Pouting, I look up, only to find a glass pane falling...and it's aimed right for me. My eyes widen. However, I'm unable to move. The glass gets closer, my stomach lurching towards the ground. Today I'm a goner. Unfreezing my eyes, I squeeze them shut, bracing myself for the worst.

"I was originally going to save you." 

"You were going to risk your life? For me?" 

"Angel, I'm ready to trade all the stars in the sky for you, so what's a bit of risk taking?" 

"I love you so fucking much for being alright." 

"Nandini, fucking move!" Sushant's voice enters my ears. Just like when someone shades another with an umbrella, I feel a protective cover behind my back. A pair of solid, muscular arms wrap around either side of my body, bending me downwards. I am completely enveloped by the body behind me, almost like a shield that's handcrafted for me. The sound of glass shattering surrounds me, my eyes squeezing shut even tighter. However, I feel no pain; no shards pierce my skin. The person behind me lets out a soft grunt. His breaths warm the skin of my left ear. My breaths are in perfect harmony with the man behind me, as if we are moulded from the same soil, meant to function as one.

A few seconds pass by, the two of us staying in place, as if moving away feels wrong. Hesitantly, I open my eyes, only to find shards of glass littered on the ground near my feet, and scattered around me.