二十四

IE

•edited•
Lenna had been reviewing the data with Tony for the past half hour, give or take a few minutes. He decided to give them an energy boost and baled some cookies for the two. As he sat down from placing them on a cooling rack Lenna got a call.

"Yes, sir?" Lenna answered properly. Tony raised an eyebrow at her antics. "Uh-huh.... affirmative..... on my way!" She almost knocked Tony over when he went to offer her a cookie.

Lenna spun around as she reached the bottom of the stairs. "Shit!" She said hurriedly, "uh—save me a cookie for when I come back!"

Stark blinked as he sat back down. "That was odd... wasn't it JARVIS?"

"Not really sir."

"Smartass."

Lenna came back down dressed in all black with a dark jacket. She grabbed a cookie and sat back down with Tony. "Fury called," she said simply. "I leave tomorrow at dawn." She took a bite from the cookie and fell silent.

"How do you know Fury?" Tony asked. "More importantly leaving for where?!"

"The helicarrier." Lenna swallowed. "And I'm one of his top agents..."

"Uh—no," Tony said abruptly. "My little girl will not be some undercover spy—when did this even happen!"

"Dad, you're cutting yourself off again," Lenna said calmly. "And shortly after Steve was found."

"Oh so now you know Steve Rogers?!" He threw his hands up in the air as he paced around the table. "Now you know the man my dad wouldn't shut up about..." He mumbled the last part to himself but Lenna still caught it.

Anxiously she asked, "Your dad... Howard?"

"You weren't supposed to hear that!" He snapped as he pointed a finger at her. She raised her hands in the air innocently. "Yes, your douche grandpa knew Steve Rogers! The Captain America!"

"Why won't you ever talk about him?" Lenna asked bluntly. "Or my grandmother for that reason. I've brought them up a couple of times but you always pretend not to hear me!" She added more softly, "What happened to them."

"You wanna know what happened to them?" Tony asked in a deceptively calm tone. "They died. Car accident. I was twenty-one." He stood stoically in his tracks.

Lenna got up and went to her room. "Night Dad." No response. She didn't sleep that night. She never did the night before missions. Instead, she reviewed the data from Coulson. Memorizing every bit of it. Especially the parts of Captain America.

"I'm the worst father for letting you do this. I shouldn't, right?" Tony said apprehensively the next morning. The two had not spoken a word about the little spat last night.

"Fury needs me at the helicarrier," Lenna reasoned, "besides, you'll be arriving soon enough. You can be a good Dad then." She hoisted the black backpack she always carried around and glanced at the small jet waiting behind her.

Tony sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. Something, Lenna noticed, he did when he was anxious or worried. "I'll see ya in a bit Pipsqueak," he said while steeling himself.

She gave him a quick hug before entering the jet. The door closed and it took off. Inside the jet sat a man with a brown leather jacket and another one with a suit on. Lenna smiled before approaching the first of the two.

"Hey buddy," she said playfully as she looks at the screen of the tablet he held in his hand. "How's it hanging?"

Steve looked up and smiled at the girl. "Hey," he said. "Just looking at the files they gave me."

"What one are you on now?" Lenna asked.

"Oh I just began," he said a bit sheepishly. "I got picked up a little before you."

"Oh," Lenna said. "Well, start on this one." She tapped the one labeled Romanoff, Natasha, her role model. "An amazing spy," she said in awe, "amazing in combat, amazing looking. She's almost everything I aspire to be!"

Steve made a humming noise as she watched Natasha fighting with another man. "Who's that?"

Lenna tapped a few more things. "Clint Barton. Works mainly with Romanoff but not always. Also an amazing spy."

"Bow and arrow?" Steve asked with raised eyebrows.

"One of the best at it."

"You already know about my father," Lenna said quickly, not wanting to go over that file.

"Stark?" Steve asked incredulously. "I knew I recognized you!"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you remind me of Howard," Steve explained happily.

"H-Howard?" Lenna shifted nervously. "How?"

"You have his eyes," Steve reminisced. "They hold the same thirst for knowledge, the same friendliness that draws people in." He chuckled. "He was a ladies man, that's for sure. I'm sure you have that bit of him too. You'll attract many guys."

Lenna shook her head with a smile, "If I didn't know better I'd say you were flirting with me, Captain!"

He threw his head back in a loud laugh. "Oh, you wish!" Lenna's smile widened.

"We're about forty minutes out from home base sir," the pilot called back.