ᵀᵉⁿ

A few months earlier

"So let me get this straight," Lenna said slowly, taking a sip from her 'Iron Daughter' mug. She paused to point to it excitedly, "You like it? Tony got it for me. It's kinda a play on Iron Maiden – Sorry. You want me to give Captain America a tour of New York City?"

"Of 2011... to put it plainly, yes." Fury's stern look was canceled out by the 'Iron DILF' mug he held.

"Don't you have more important things to be doing than exploiting a teenager?"

"I'm not exploiting you. I'm just using all my resources."

She scoffed and took a sip from her mug. "Yeah, the option of an unpaid teenager sounds a lot better than paying an actual employee of your company to go on a joyride with Captain America."

"Regardless of what you think my intentions may be–" Fury began, quickly losing patience.

"Correction," she said, leaning back, "what I know them to be."

"I think you would be the best one to show him around. He doesn't need someone sugar coating all that's changed."

"What if he has an anxiety attack? A PTSD episode? You must be overestimating how much progress I've been making."

"Agent Romanoff assures me you've been progressing nicely."

"Yeah, I went from not standing anywhere near the ring to lasting five seconds in it. Unless my opponent is a drunk mugger, I don't think I'll be winning any fights anytime soon."

"So, you'll do it?"

"Fuck you, Fury, of course, I'm gonna fucking do it. Get the hell out of here before I have a fucking conniption."

"So dramatic."

Lenna sat at the table for a little longer, sipping her tea as she pulled up a map of the city. Steve was going to need somewhere to stay. She could set him up in Stark Tower for a while before sending him out into the world, but she knew that Tony wasn't a fan of him. Not wanting to baby the ninety-year-old man, she kept looking for options she could show him.

Lenna walked around Times Square, admiring the tourists and pedestrians, making up lives and conflicts for each of them. Most days she managed to keep herself amused. She never had any complaints about being alone; in fact, she mostly liked it. With fewer people around her, she had less to worry about, but today was different. She walked around Times Square hoping all her anxieties would magically vanish. Each step she prayed Fury would call her saying Steve Rogers had woken up and she could make her way over to them.

She remained relatively close to the SHIELD building so she wouldn't have to run. Every few seconds she checked her phone to make sure she had the correct coordinates in Google Maps or making sure she didn't miss a text from Fury. In the end, it was all in vain, because he ended up coming to her. Just as she was crossing the street, she heard a commotion and the dissonance of horns, louder than usual. The moment black cars pulled onto the scene Lenna knew something wasn't right.