Chapter Nine

Veronica's POV

As there are no other words said between myself and the boy in front of me, I get up off my butt and head up the stairs to my bedroom. After sitting down, watching movies and munching on junk food all day, its best if I go and freshen up a little.

Axel never questioned where I was going so I guess he understood what I was doing. It's a girl thing to do after all.

I look at myself in the mirror of my bathroom. I decide not to change my outfit because I quite like it but I throw my hair up into a messy bun and spritz myself with some strawberry body mist. I also wash my face, getting all the oiliness off.

I walk back downstairs to hear Axel talking to someone. My steps quicken as I wondered who was it he was talking to. As I head into the hallway, I saw the boy leaning against the wall with his right hand up near his ear and the other in the pocket of his jeans.

It was then that I realised he was actually talking to someone on his IPhone.

Due to his face, I could tell that it is only a catch-up call and not anything important. The way his smile reaches up to his eyes says it all.

Not wanting to interrupt this happy moment for him, I go to the living room to tidy up where I had been all day. I folded the throw rug, placing it on the arm of the chair and then picked up all the empty or half full chip bags, lollies, etc.

With my hands full, I take them all to the kitchen to put them in their designated place or throw in the trash bin. I take out a water bottle from the fridge and open it before taking a huge gulp of it. I realised as I screw the lid back on that the place is all silent now.

Axel must be finished.

I hear his footsteps retreating towards where I am and then he comes into my view. He was looking down at his phone so he didn't realise I'm here. He looks back up, now seeing me and jumps a little out of fright. I only smile at him. He copies my action before furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"What?" I ask, now confused at his confusion. He looks at me and the surrounding and then looks over towards the stairs. He continues this a couple of times, retreating his gaze from me to the stairs. I let out a small chuckle.

"When did you walk past?" he asked. He must have been that concentrated on his phone call that he didn't actually realise I walked passed, or heard my footsteps for that matter. "Magic." I state, deciding to joke along. He only rolls my eyes at my statement and motions me to follow him outside with his hand.

I walk out and follow him towards the car. We stop and due to his tall figure, I couldn't see past him so I stood on the side of him. My eyes widen and an imaginary lump formed in my throat once I saw the motorcycle.

I haven't ever been on a motorcycle before but my father used to own one and drive it around everywhere when we were a happy family. He then sold it and stopped looking at motorcycles though when he got in a hectic collusion with another car. The doctors had told my mother, myself and Alilah that he was so lucky to even survive the crash.

Axel steps forward until he is in reach of the vehicle and gets a helmet out of the compartment underneath the seat. He holds the helmet out towards me but I just shake my head and step back a little. I cross my hands over my chest.

"Are you going to take it?" he asked, breaking the silence. He looked pretty impatient, like he really just wanted to go. I look up into his eyes with a blank expression. I shake my head once again.

"I-I am not going on, that." I pointed to the death contraption. He turns around to glance at his bike and then looks at me again, really studying me. The hand he is holding out towards me with the helmet goes back to his side.