Bliss in Paradise

Start from the beginning

"Hey, schatje," Willem said as he shut the door behind him, a smile tugging on the corners of his lips. "You look like you haven't slept in days." He shrugged out of his suit and stared at her, grey eyes shining silver, and she knew that he could see straight through her.

"More like years," she replied, taking his suit jacket from him and hanging it up.

She was about to head for their bedroom when Willem grabbed her by the waist and planted a soft kiss on her lips. "It's good to see you home at this time," he said. "Your new schedule doesn't compliment mine at all. I miss having dinner with you."

"Well, the only reason I'm home a little earlier today, is because I messed up big time."

One dark eyebrow lifted as his forehead puckered into a frown. "You messed up? Now that's not something I hear every day. What happened?"

"Eight-year-old kid almost bled out on my table after I accidentally cut an artery. It happened so fast. . ." She looked away from Willem's pensive gaze, holding back tears as she did so. Being a parent made her sympathize with the parents she dealt with every day even more now."It was supposed to be a straightforward tonsillectomy, a procedure I've done a million times, but she wouldn't stop bleeding no matter what I did to cauterize it. You ever seen a chicken's neck get slit?" Before he could shake his head in denial or nod in affirmation, she continued on the same breath. "It was like that, but then worse."

"But she's okay now. You're a brilliant surgeon, schatje. Never doubt that." His arm draped around her shoulder, pulling her close, his lips brushing tenderly against her temple.

Her body reacted, heart racing as she became acutely aware of him as a man. A man she'd mostly been super intimate with the last couple of months because her hormones were out of control. Her friend Xiomara was right about one thing. Pregnancy sex was 'ah-may-zing." And right now, she wanted her husband fiercely.

He continued to tell her how amazing she was. "You saved Bradley's life when other doctors had already given up hope. You're badass in the OR. A beautiful, extremely smart badass." He spoke those words like a caress, lips grazing her ear as his breath fanned out against her neck.

She sighed. "Bradley's surgery was one of the hardest things I've ever done. His injuries were extensive. Repairing his spine was like walking through a minefield. . . and he still doesn't wear a helmet when he bikes. Ungrateful little shit." She unbuttoned her shirt as she spoke, feeling hot and bothered all of a sudden. "But that's beside the point. If doctor Camden didn't come in when he did, I'm not sure that girl would still be alive."

Willem scowled, wolfish grey eyes hardening. "I thought he was off your rotation?"

"He is, but he was the only doctor available on the spot."

"I do not like that man. He's cocky and he has a God complex. Everyone treats him like he's Idris fucking Elba. How many doctors, interns and nurses has he fucked since he was hired?"

"How in the world would I know?" She turned to walk away, knowing how jealous Willem got whenever doctor Camden's name came up. She didn't get far when he grabbed her by her shoulder and spun her around to face him.

"You kissed him, so maybe he told you," he accused in his deep voice, his Dutch accent coming to the forefront.

"Willem, let me go."

"Or maybe, it wasn't just a kiss. Did he fuck you too?" He tightened his hold on her shirt, pushing her back toward the wall, his grey eyes dark like storm clouds. "Hmm, schatje, did he? Is that why you're always working late? Because you're too busy riding him in the supplies room?"