Raleigh

The next day, Hermione and Draco sat behind the counter of the bookstore reading the same book. Hermione would wait for Draco to finish the page before turning it to the next, as was their routine.

Suddenly the bell at the door rang and as the both looked up, Draco quickly stood up.

At the door stood Frank, Molly's father. His thinning hair, jutting beer belly, and clothes that looked like he was rolling around in the mud all night heightened Hermione's judgement. "What do you want, Frank?" Draco moved partially in front of Hermione as he spoke.

"Can't a guy just walk into the book shop without being judged?" Frank spoke in a raspy voice.

Draco gave him a stern look before Frank spoke again, "I just wanted to say...thanks for taking care of Molly last night."

"It's nothing we haven't done before," Draco said glaringly.

Frank's eyes darted to Hermione, then he said, "Molly's right, you do look like Mary."

"Her name is Hermione," Draco seethed.

"And I can speak for myself, Drake," Hermione interjected as she stood up, "May I ask what you were doing last night that made your daughter come to our house?"

"There...there was a party."

"Or so he recalls," Draco added.

"I just didn't want Molly to be around us. You know how it is."

"So you send her away like she's old enough to walk around town by herself at night?"

"I know it looks bad," Frank started just as Draco scoffed. "But I love that little girl with all my heart, and I wouldn't do anything to hurt her."

"You are hurting her by not being there for her! She'll always have us but you're her father!" Hermione raised her voice, "I may not be a parent but I know that if I had a child I would know to put their needs first."

"Listen, lady-"

"Just get out of here, Frank," Draco interrupted, "We're done here."

Frank paused before leaving the store angrily. Hermione believed that Frank loved his daughter, but there is no excuse for how he behaved. "I can't believe that man. He was thanking us as if we were babysitters for the night," Draco commented.

"I believe he cares for his daughter, but he won't do anything for her. School is starting soon, is she even enrolled?"

"Yes, it's the only think Frank can do correctly. Send her away for a few hours a day and drink till she gets home."

"Hm, charming."

"Granger, do you want to get something to eat? I'm starving."

"In case you haven't noticed, Draco, I'm working."

"Oh please, you may as well hear the sound of crickets chirping in here."

"Wait, did you see a cricket?"

"Granger, come and eat with me."

"I don't have money!"

"Me neither so let's go home and make something."

"Working, Draco!"

"Draco? Is that her nickname for you?" Suddenly the sound of Abby's voice startled them from the stairwell. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop, I just wanted to get my book from down here."

"Oh um, yes. That's my nickname for him," Hermione replied nervously and gave Draco a side glance. He was smirking at her, that git.

"Well, anyway it sounds like he's asking you out. Don't worry, Hermione I'll take over," Abby said.