Three Months Later

"Two pints and an Apple Martini, you got it," Hermione told the customers as she poured their drinks with lightning speed. Popping a small umbrella in the Martini, she gave them their drinks at the bar. "Hey, we ordered one pint and two Apple Martinis. What is this?!" the lady yelled at Hermione, who groaned inwardly and made another Martini quickly for the impatient lady. "There you go, sorry about that," she said without looking her in the eyes.

"Ey, where's my drink?!" the heavy man in the far corner yelled at her.

"Coming right up, sir!" she yelled back and made that one.

"Hey, we were here first and still haven't gotten our drinks yet!"

"I ordered a pint ten minutes ago!"

"What is this, there isn't even an apple slice in this one!"

"What the fuck, lady, just make us our drinks!"

"Please, everyone calm down," she begged, even though she'd give anything to hex their mouths shut for five minutes. "What's going on back here?!" Her boss, Hector, showed up behind the bar and saw the scene.

"It's a Saturday night, sir. People want their drinks."

"And you're not making them fast enough, again!" he shouted at her, "Hermy, this is your second third strike, you hear me?!"

It's Hermione, she said silently.

"Go home, kid, you're fired," he practically spat in her face.

"What?! No, Hector, you can't. My landlord, he needs last month's rent-"

"That's all your problem, not mine! Get the hell out of here!"

Hermione resisted the urge to cry and removed her apron. Picking up her bag and coat from the back, she walked out into the alley and tied her trench coat. This was the third job she was fired from, and there was no ways she was going to work at another god awful bar.

Walking onto the sidewalk, she looked both ways and crossed the street. She was lucky enough to get a job so close to her apartment, which was just a block away. But yet again, she will have to find another job. And soon too.

Hermione walked up the steps, used her key and got into the building. As quietly as possible, she had to walk past the stairwell which led to her landlord's own apartment upstairs. Unfortunately, his door opened before she could even get to hers.

"Hey, Herm! Where's the rent?!" he yelled from above.

"I don't have it yet!" she yelled back as politely as possible. She heard shuffling up stairs and then quick footsteps down the staircase. Paul stepped out in his regular flannel shirt and shorts, with his signature socks and sandals. His beady eyes and balding head made Hermione extremely uncomfortable, especially when his eyes trailed up and down her body. "This month's rent check is coming up too, that's two months worth of bills coming your way," he said hoarsely.

"I understand, but I just don't have it right now."

"Hey, have you been crying?"

She didn't realize it, but she was. "No," she lied, but couldn't help it, "Yeah, I just got fired."

"Oh, sweetheart," he softened his tone, "I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I can get another one, I promise."

As she opened her door and stepped inside to shut it, Paul wedged his foot in the doorway.

"Just between you and me, Herm," he whispered creepily, "You can pay me in other ways too, if you'd like."

Hermione's eyes widened as he stepped away from the door. She shut it quickly and looked out the keyhole. Paul still stood there for a good five seconds just watching her door before he went his way. Then the real tears came down as Hermione fell to the floor.

She knew when she got here that living in the city was hard, but after coming from a place where she had friends who felt like family to her, it was rough feeling so alone. It was ironic because she needed her own space, but perhaps she went too far.

Her eyes darted to some travel brochures on the kitchen counter.

Or maybe not far enough.

Standing up and locking the door, she rushed to the pamphlets and tried finding somewhere better. But at this point, anywhere was better. Then she remembered her lack of cash, the only thing left of her life savings in that piggy bank. Getting to the city, the first things she did was rent an apartment, got her driver's license and bought a car. Little did she know that living in the city didn't require a car, especially with the subway and things being in walking distance.

God, how was she so stupid.

Removing her trench coat and placing her bag on the couch, she went into the bathroom and looked at herself in the mirror. Her make up smudged from her tears and her wildly bushy golden brown hair was a mess. In other words, she was a mess. Wiping away the make up under her eyes she rested her forehead against the mirror and tried to recognize the girl in the mirror.

She was Hermione Granger. Heroine of the War, one third of the golden trio, and the brightest witch of her age. What was she doing here? A lowly muggle who got fired from three jobs and can't pay her rent. She left her country to find something better, somewhere where she belonged. Maybe Harry was right, maybe she shouldn't have left after all.

___

Hermione fell asleep on the couch late that night, the rain pouring against her slanted window in the corner of the room. Suddenly, a loud thump came from out in the hall, followed by several loud and fumbling footsteps. She woke up and pulled the blanket further over her.

Then she heard the voices. It was Paul and some of his friends. They sounded completely hammered.

"Ey, Paulie, that girl still living in there?"

"Yeah, you bet she is. And if she doesn't come up with the rent in the next few days, she's gonna have to really make it up to me."

Hermione shuddered and was beyond terrified when the footsteps came close to her door.

"Here that, Herm! You owe me!" He shouted through the door and started banging the wood, hard. Hermione put her hands over her mouth and sobbed silently long after Paul and his friends went upstairs.

That was it. She's had enough.

Hermione grabbed her coat and as quietly as possible, opened her door and left the building. Walking into the rain, she kept walking and walking until she was three blocks away from that horrid place. It wasn't until a taxi cab whizzed by and completely splashed her with puddle water that she decided to stop walking. Wandering into the nearest 24 hour convenient store, she ignored the look of disgust the man at the counter gave her and went into the aisles.

She caught a look of herself in the sunglasses stand mirror and was appalled to see herself in such a way. Her reflection was a shriveled up, cold, wet and sad version of her former self.

And she's had enough of that girl.