TWENTY-EIGHT

A short update, but I wanted to get it out instead of making you guys wait longer. Also, I'm trying to get an update for After done soon, for those of you reading it.

Thank you all for your patience!!

Brandon and I sat outside for a bit longer

Brandon and I sat outside for a bit longer. Neither of us spoke. He just held me and made me feel like everything was going to be alright in the end. It's all going to be okay.

"Come on, you guys!" Axel calls from the front door. "Lunch time is over and we've got work to do!"

At the mention of work, a way to stay busy and keep my mind off of things, I leap to my feet and follow him in the building.

"What's going on?" I ask, my heart beating erratically with excitement and a bit of nervousness.

"We need to go undercover to a banquet," Owen explains as Victor takes my hand and leads me into the living room.

I sit down next to Victor and don't let go of his hand.

"Undercover?" I echo. "How many of you have to go?"

There's a pause and then Kota explains, "The op requires a bird."

"What kind of spy mission involves a bird?" I asked, completely and utterly confused. "I mean, I've heard of a fictional agent using a trained monkey, but I don't see why you would need a bird."

They all begin to laugh, confusing me even further. I replay the short conversation in my mind, trying to find any clues that would explain the joke.

"I don't get it," I Tate simply, pressing my lips into a thin line as my mind tries to work through the confusion.

"A bird is what we sometimes call a female," Will explains finally. "We didn't mean a literal flying bird."

"Oh," Is all I can say as blush overtakes my cheeks.

"Because of the nature of the assignment," Owen continues. "We need a female with us. Now, we can bring in an agent, or we can have you come. But don't worry, it'll be completely safe and just to gather some int—"

"Yes!" I blurt. "Yes, yes, yes! Anything but sitting here and doing nothing!"

"Hey, we aren't that boring, are we?" Sean says with fake hurt in his voice.

"No" I reply quickly. "I think I'm just feeling a bit of cabin fever."

"I think we're all feeling a bit cooped up," Luke agrees, shooting North a playful glare.

"The op requires you to be our ticket into a charity ball. There, we meet up with our contact and gain the information we need," Kota explains. "Sang, you'll be wearing a disguise. The charity ball is for women in high society. They are allowed to bring their dates, but the invitations are only given out to women because of the nature of the ball."

"And I'll be dressing you so you know you'll look fucking gorgeous," Gabriel announces smugly.

"When will this be?" I inquire, trying to get a sense of the plan.

"This evening," Owen informs me. "Gabriel will be heading to the store with Victor now, though, so he can get all the items he needs for us."

Furrowing my brows, I add, "And why are you all going if it's just to get some information?"

"To keep you safe," Silas tells me in that deep voice of his. "At least one of us will be with you at all times."

"Plus, the more of us that are there, the more information we can gather about the ball and keep an eye out for any threats," Will chimes in helpfully. "If two pairs of eyes are better than one, sixteen pairs are even better."

"That makes sense," I agree, nodding my head slowly.

The day is busy, full of preparations for the evening. The work is welcome though. I am so excited to be able to do something, especially something that helps these men out. They've done so much for me and this is my chance to begin to return the favor. Besides, this is my element. I've gone to countless charity balls and other extravagant events.

When Gabriel finally gets back, he begins to dole out clothes to the boys and then retrieves me to get me ready for the event.

By the time he is done, I am halfway starved, in pain, and feeling lightheaded from all the smells. He put a temporary dye in my hair, promising it would only last a night.

I didn't care about the dye, though. I don't have to look at my hair. I think Gabriel might like my normal hair color though because he was kinda emotional as he dyed my hair red.

He gave me contacts and covered my face in makeup. I don't know what the dress looked like, but it felt amazing. It was floor length but loose so I could walk around easily and even run if need be. I'm wearing a pair of delicate flats that Gabriel needlessly insisted matched the dress and my skin complexion.

All in all, I felt like a princess. And I could not wait to go with my Prince Charmings to the ball.