I watched him approach us and just when he was about two meters away, I stepped in front of the others defensively.

"Ha, your beta is doing a good job." Alpha Adam (his name), unpleasantly chuckled as I did my job. As a beta, it was my responsibility to make sure the alpha was safe and could continue his duties no matter what.

Because the alpha was the most important thing to ensure the pack's survival, it was normal for him to need protection and I was grateful and honoured to be given that task.

Isaac stepped forwards, "Alpha Adam, speak, what are you doing on our territory?" He asked, emphasising the 'our' part as it excluded him.

Alpha Adam straightened his posture as he was bent over, most probably from the pain of his injury, and sighed. "I'm going to be honest, I don't want to be here as much as you don't want me here but I bring important news and.." He trailed off as he approached us, making me stand in front of him and block his way.
"This is news you're going to want to hear." He looked straight at us, making us understand the importance of his unwelcomed presence.

~~~~~

Alexa's PoV

I put my stuff away into my room, and happily skipped down the stairs.

"Alexa, do you want to eat with us?" My mom asked.

"Of course!" I gladly agreed, enjoying the feeling of being at home.

Lily came in after me and jumped up, settling down on her chair.

We all sat down around the table looking at the chicken and vegetables my mom had prepared with Matt.

Half way through the meal, my mom spoke up.

"Alexa, there's something we need to tell you."

"Yeah?"

"For the next two weeks, we're going to see Matt's family as we didn't really see them after the marriage. We're taking Lily with us but we don't want to take you out of school since it's such an important school year. Do you have any friends that you can stay with?" My mom spoke barely taking a break to breathe as she judged my reaction.

"Oh, yeah that's fine. Enjoy your time there." I smiled.

She finally breathed out and relaxed.

"See? I told you she'd be fine." Matt took her hand as she nodded back at him.

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?" I questioned even though they weren't expecting me to hear that part.

"Well, we just knew you don't make friends easily so we were worried..." Matt didn't finish his sentence as he got quieter towards the end.

"Oh... No it's fine." I said as I finished my plate.

"I'm done, I'm going to go ask my friends." I put my plate in the sink and left to go to my room as I heard an "okay." from behind me.

I took my phone out of my bag as I sat on the side of my bed, looking out of the window as I pressed 'call'.

"Helloooo." A cheery yet low voice answered.