Chapter 17

The bell chimed as we entered the familiar shop. Chris came into view as he came from the back.

Max had work today and he had brought me along again. I remembered the first time I was here and couldn't believe everything that happened since then.

I wanted to be with Max but I understood that he wanted to find a way to make sure I was safe in case Isaac thought it was better if I was... if I stayed away from Max.

"Alexa!" He pulled me into a hug. "How has Max been treating you?"

Laughing on the inside, I pouted. "Not well, he ignored me for three weeks."

Chris turned to glare at the culprit. "Max, now what have I been telling you?"

"Um well.."

I loved seing other sides to Max, and the one right now that was getting told off and didn't know what to say was adorable.

'You know I can feel how you're feeling right now right? Stop making me seem like a child that you're proud of or something.'

The embarrassed one was cute too.

'Shut up'

I guess he heard that, although I didn't appreciate him listening in on all my thoughts.

'Shouldn't you be coming up with an excuse right now?' I tried to stop myself from smirking.

"Hello?" Chris looked at us. "You guys have been staring at each other and not saying anything for like five minutes now."

I felt myself blush. Chris didn't know about us being mates and I was wondering whether he thought we were dating.

"Sorry." I said embarrassed and snapping out of it.

"Oh no, don't apologize. Just give me a warning next time so I can get my camera." Chris smiled.

"U-um." My voice went too high for my liking.

Max was grinning whilst looking at me although I didn't know why. Did he like seing me embarrassed?

"Okay, enough messing around. Get to work Max!" Chris looked at him seriously, almost annoyed at him for what I said. I felt myself try to suppress a laugh.

"Oh, let me help too!" I liked the atmosphere in this place and wanted to help out in anyway I could.

"Sure, just go into the back and there should be a mop you can use."

I nodded and made my way to the back into the small storage room. The whole shop was really small but I guess that's what made it cozy.

Smiling, I came back out and started cleaning the floor.

After a while, whilst Max was at the till, I was cleaning the back when Chris approached me.

"So, how long have you guys been together?"

"Huh!? Oh no we're not.." He caught me by surprise.

"Don't lie, I see the way he looks at you."

I hated how easily I blushed but I felt my heart skip a beat.

"Well, that and the fact that he wouldn't shut up about you whilst he was here."

"He talked about me?" My whole body tingled. I guess that's what having a mate felt like.

"Yeah. He kept saying that he was going to tell you something. I'm guessing he finally did."

I looked at Max with a small smile whilst he helped a customer. "Yeah, he did."