Day 9 Ch. 38

Saturday, December 24th

Christmas Eve Day

7:01 P.M.

Keith left.

He hadn't bothered to grab his suitcase, or his wallet, or his shoes by the door. He simply snatched a set of random keys from the hook and bolted.

The table had been still; watching him. It was Benji who moved first.

"I hate all of you," He'd threatened, all before pushing himself from the table, making his chair clatter to the floor. "You managed to fuck up Christmas."

Benji raced after Keith - he was the only one who did. Everyone else was immovable with shock, simply staring as Keith slammed the front door behind him. It was windy outside. Violently so, the weather promising enough strength to battle human bodies and throw down grandfather trees.

"Keith!" Benji cried, sprinting with skinny legs and socked feet across the front lawn. "Keith, stop!"

The boy hadn't heard him, instead finding the vehicle match to his stolen car keys and hopping in. It was Daniel and Rachel's minivan - there was a stick figure family plastered to the trunk window. Tears overflowed down Keith's cheeks; he continued to let them fall. He was unsure of the plan - was there even a plan in the first place? All Keith knew was that he needed to get away, that running and hiding was the only option. How far he'd drive and how far he'd flee was uncertain - maybe it relied on the level of gas in Daniel's tank.

No matter what the circumstances, there was only one thing Keith was positive about.

He was never going back.