One

He rolled over to hear the birds chirping outside his window. A warm gust of air brushed past his face and he wrinkled his nose as he sat up slowly.

Charlie was peacefully asleep on his side of the room. Bucky gazed out the window. It was spring -- a promise of new beginnings and warmth. He thought about the winter and smiled a little to himself as he remembered how well Christmas had gone.

Rolling out of bed, he hastily pulled on a sweater and yawned, before suddenly stopping. Today was the day.

He bolted from the room, grabbed an apple and booked it to the stream. The sun was beginning to warm up the frosted ground and he felt grateful for the sweater he'd grabbed. When he skidded to a halt he saw Steve already there, leaning against a tree.

"Hey," he breathed. "Sorry I'm late."

Steve turned and smiled a little, folding his arms. "Don't worry about it," he answered. "Wanted to get out of the house a little early anyway." This he said with a roll of his eyes, and Bucky stepped closer.

"Yeah?" He looked at him imploringly. "What happened?"

Steve kicked at a pebble. "Just my... my grandma's in town." He frowned a little and Bucky raised an eyebrow.

"Oh. So, scary lady?"

"No, no, she's great." Steve pursed his lips. "It's just -- " He glanced at Bucky's concerned face and sighed, slumping his shoulders. "It's just weird, is all."

Bucky nodded, assured, and took a bite out of his apple before glancing around.

"Why'd you wanna meet so early, anyway?"

Steve looked a little bashful. "I wanted to see you before school started up again."

It was spring break, and a week after that, a spring dance was being held at Steve's school.

Bucky smiled and nudged him. "Y'know, we did have the full day. We had to meet up at seven?"

Steve reddened more, mumbling something and folding his arms. Bucky couldn't help but smile as he watched him look so embarrassed. "I always like seeing you as long as I can," he finally coughed out, rubbing the back of his neck.

Rolling his eyes, Bucky stepped up to him and kissed him. Steve felt warm beneath his lips -- probably still embarrassed from before.

"You're adorable, you know?" Bucky finished as he pulled away, smiling at the look on his face. Steve could only give a small shake of his head as he smiled back at him.

"You too, Buck."

////

"You're getting into the habit of waking up at regular hours, right?" Winifred walked around the kitchen, handing out cups of coffee to her family. Bucky nodded as he sat on the couch, reading a book.

"Mhm, Steve took care of that," he murmured. Winifred smiled over at him.

"Smart boy," she remarked and sat next to George, reading the paper. Emma finished brushing her hair out and struggled to pull on a sweater as she danced around the house, getting ready to see April later that day. Likewise, Bucky and Steve had decided to hit the park and maybe do some soccer or something.

"Oh, yeah," George said suddenly, glancing between his children, "Car needs a wash. Ten bucks to whoever cleans it?"

Charlie snorted. "Just one buck is too much to handle." He grinned at his own joke. Rebecca coughed to hide her laughter as she played with Teddy.

Bucky scowled at him and chugged his coffee. Winifred shook her head.

"Be nice to your brother."

"Aww, he knows we love him." Charlie gave him a lazy thumbs up and Bucky rolled his eyes.

"Lots of effort went into that," Christopher commented, also rolling his eyes. "I'll take the ten dollars, dad."

"Now that I've been thoroughly insulted," Bucky said with mock huffiness, "I'm gonna go get ready."

Charlie smiled good-naturedly at him. "Love you!"

He shook his head and retreated up the stairs. His siblings -- Charlie in particular -- could be a lot to handle sometimes.

////

"Okay, sorry that took forever, but -- "

Bucky paused as he walked onto the soccer field to find Steve chatting with a girl he hadn't met before. A brunet with ruby red lips and gentle brown eyes. Bucky, ever the optimist, swallowed his suspicions and strode over.

"Hey, Stevie," he said as he sidled up to him, bringing all attention to him. He smiled brightly. "I don't believe we've met. Bucky Barnes." He stuck out a hand and the girl smiled, glancing at Steve out of the corner of her eye.

"Peggy Carter," she answered, and he was surprised to hear a soft English accent as she spoke. "Sorry, you are..?"

"My boyfriend," Steve introduced, taking his hand. "Buck, this is Peggy. She and I go way back."

He bristled at that, and tried not to -- he wasn't the jealous type, and obviously, anyone could be friends with anyone, so him having "girl friends" didn't raise suspicion.

"Pleased to meet you."

"Oh, has Steve told you? It's sort of a funny story, actually -- "

"Really?" He put on a smile and nodded and listened and silently wished he could just play soccer with Steve right then. At least she's a nice girl, but why has Steve never mentioned her?

"Then there was the arrangement -- "

He blinked and decided to try to pay attention. "Sorry?"

Steve had gone at least three different shades of red. "Yeah, uh, long story," he said with a laugh, knowing full well he would have to tell Bucky about it later.

Bucky worked a smile a minute too late, laughing slightly and eyeing Steve. "I'd love to hear that."

Peggy smiled between the two, hands clasped. "Well, I think I've intruded enough. I'm around town, up Rosewood Heights," she said to Steve with a smile. "See you two later. Pleasure to meet you, Bucky."

"You too." He gave a salute and she smiled and walked off.

Steve slowly blew out a breath as he felt more than saw Bucky draw closer to him, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow.

Steve smiled meekly at him, shrugging with his hands spread out in the air. "Surprise," he said half-heartedly.

Bucky rubbed the bridge of his nose and sighed.