Part 80

“I hear you killed seven of my men and wounded another fifteen,” said the king as he rubbed his chin weighing up the giant before him.

“They gave us little choice.”

Looking at Nimen who was standing next to Chelnuk the king saw the bow he was carrying.

“I have never seen a bow such as his,” he got closer to have a better look.

“They are the bows of angels, gifts from my grandfather’s people.”

“You are in contact with the angels?” Jashnak exclaimed in awe.

“Why do you ask?”

“Show me one and I will join you.”

“I do not command angels, they are friends, guardians. They serve God, they are not mine to order.”

“You are surrounded by my men. There are a thousand of us round about. You are good but you would still fall under so many spears and arrows.”

Giving Jashnak a steely gaze Chelnuk then turned slightly to concentrate and see into the spiritual realm.

He could see Silva fighting with demons. Looking back at the king again he said, “My personal guardian is in a battle at the moment, we shall need to pray for his victory.”

The king did not quite know what to say, “But surely the angel is powerful enough to defeat the demons?”

“You are not a very spiritual man are you Jashnak.”

“Why do you say that?”

“You seem dead to the ways of the spirit.”

“My ancestor is Abraham, as yours is.”

“That may be true but we still need to pray so that my angel defeats the demons.”

The king thought for a moment, “The whole camp will pray.” He called his envoy, “Jall Get the men to pray for the giant’s angel.”

And so they began to pray until Chelnuk could see that, with the aid of the Glory of God, the demons were defeated.

As a thank you Silva revealed himself in all his glory. The king and his men grovelled in the dust of the earth. Silva smiled at Chelnuk then again disappeared.

Seeing that the angel had gone the king once again stood and brushed himself off, “Now we have joined forces. Come into my tent and we will discuss how we should fight the giant army.”

Chelnuk entered the tent followed by the others.

Kendra had worked hard to prepare the trap and was now at home in bed with Sanilas. He had to remain tight lipped for even here, with good angels or the spirits of the departed, a loose tongue or passing thought would reveal the plan. Now he had to fathom out how he would lead the giant army into the trap without revealing it to his men. With his arms behind his head he tried to imagine why the giant army would be caught in the valley, would they follow he and his men into the cave system?

Salinas awoke and looked at him in his thoughtfulness, “What are you thinking of?” she asked him.