Chapter One

Six's POV

This year we had 18 new initiates, 10 Dauntless born; Kristen, Chloe, Rachael, Lia, Chris, Harry, Jacob, Ed, George, and Jack
More boys than girls, but only just, last year we only had male Dauntless borns, and let me just say, that got rough. That's the reason why Four and I are taking the transfers this year, there's only 8 of them, equal boys and girls; originally from Amity, Aidan, Imogen, and Kira.  Originally from Eruidite, Caden and Blake, and finally, originally from Candor, Hannah, Jade, and Jake.

Marlene and I stood where we expected all the initiates to jump from, we knew what was at the bottom, a net, with Four and Uriah waiting for them, but they didn't.

"I'm Marlene and welcome to Dauntless.  The first step of initiation is to jump off the side of this building to enter the Dauntless compound, if you choose to jump first, you will be remembered and gain points on the leaderboard.  The leaderboard at the end of initiation, determines the order you choose your new jobs in.  Dauntless born and transfers will be trained separately, Dauntless born by me and Uriah, transfers by Six and Four."

"Six and Four, like the numbers?" snorted a Candor, Jake, I think.

"Exactly like the numbers, numbskull.  Now, Jake, unless you're volunteering to jump first, shut your mouth.  I'm Six, by the way."  I could see Marlene smirking at me and I rolled my eyes at her.  At least this year there were no cuts, we got rid of all the Dauntless leaders and replaced them, and they decided that we would let everyone.  The new focus in Dauntless is teamwork, and ordinary acts of bravery.  Imogen, an Amity stepped forward.

"I'll jump first."  Wow.  The first jumper is rarely ever a transfer, like I was, let alone an Amity!  I nodded kindly and helped Imogen up onto the wall.

"Four's down there.  He's my fiancé and tell him Tris said be nice."  I could tell Imogen was shocked as I whispered that bit of information to her.  Hey!  I'm nice!  Just don't joke about my name!  I was still getting used to being called Six, I got bored of Tris last year and decided to be Six.  Four and Six.  I looked at the small rock on my finger.  He is mine and I am his.  I took my jacket off, revealing my muscles and, apparently shockingly to the transfers, mass of tattoos.  I looked at Mar.  She'd be okay up here.  I jumped off the wall without hesitation and jumped off the net, wrapping my arms around Four's neck and kissing him.

"Easy lovebirds!"  Uriah called as he helped a Dauntless born off the net.  Him and Mar had got married a few weeks ago.  I stuck my tongue out at him.  The next person down was another Amity girl, Kira, closely followed by Aidan, the Amity boy.  For once, I think we have some tough Amity.  After all the Candor had jumped, then the Eruidite, all of their eyes trailing to Four's arm, wrapped around my waist, we started giving them a tour.

"And this is The Pit, the centre of life here at Dauntless."  I mimicked Four, giving the exact description he did when he gave my initiate group a tour.

"Next, you'll see the Chasm," I say, my voice breaking.  I still think it's my fault that Al committed suicide.  That was Four's cue to take over the tour, he knew I hated that place.

"The Chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy!"  He shouted over the roar of the water.

"A jump can, and will, end your life, something Six and I have seen way too many times."  I was tearing up but I couldn't cry, I was meant to be a role model for these guys.  When we reached the dorms, we heard the familiar question, one we get asked every year.

"So who sleeps here, boys or girls."

It was Jake, the numbskull.

"Both." I replied easily. "but at least it's not like when I stayed here, now you all get proper beds, and the key thing, the bathroom is actually a room, not a row of toilets along the wall and a hosepipe coming down from the ceiling."  They all gaped at me, clearly not believing me, as I described what the dorm was like when I stayed there.

"Luckily, as me and Four are getting new tattoos, you get until dinner time to explore Dauntless.  You can do anything, from walking around to get a tattoo."

"Beware though, it's Six and Marlene in charge of the tattoo shop once we've got our tattoos."  Four joked.  "Oh, and after dinner, meet us by the Chasm, all initiates, me, Six, Uriah and Marlene are doing a Dauntless tradition, some Dauntless leaders might even come along."