Chapter Three

I opened the lock on my locker and pretended to ignore her.

Her breathing was really shaky, so I couldn't help but feel concerned, but then again it's not like I'd make it any better.

I reached for my bag and slipped the lock back on. I was going to leave but I didn't. I put my bag down and sat on the bench in front of her.

"Hey" I said.

"You really don't know the definition of personal space, do you?" said Cheryl.

"I do. But it's different if I'm trying to help you" I said.

She stayed quiet after I said that and stood up and wrapped one of her arms around her stomach and grabbed her bag.

She left and I followed her out but I just walked over to the rest of the Serpents instead.

"Hey. You ready?" asked Jughead.

"Yeah I'm gonna go home if you guys don't mind. Give me a ride home?" I asked.

"Sure" said Jughead.

The guys drove me back to the house we barely manage to pay for and Fangs said "We'll be back around 6."

"Okay" I said walking up the front porch.

I went into my room upstairs and pulled out my textbook for my science homework and ripped a piece of paper from my note book to write on.

I then heard a knock on the door so I got up and tossed my homework onto my bed on my way out of my room. I went downstairs and yelled "Who is it?"

"Veronica. And Betty" said a voice.

I opened the door and let Veronica and Betty in.

"We have to go back to school. Everyone else is there. The first day of school is an extended day" said Betty.

Ugh. Why today?

They drove me back to school and everyone was in a crowd in the main hall looking at a list. They were partners for a grade activity.

And of course as fate would have it, my partner was Cheryl.

We had to talk with each alone in a room. Alone. In a room.

Cheryl reluctantly walked into the science room followed by me and sat on a desk.

"Are you gonna talk?" I asked.

She looked really uncomfortable but it's not like I had anything else to do.

She walked up to me with her arms crossed waiting for me to talk.

"What are you going to say?" she said.

"I don't know. What do you wanna talk about?" I asked.

She wiped a tear off her eye and said "Nothing."

"Do you know my name?" I asked.

She walked over to the door and leaned against it.

"Toni. Toni Topaz."