Chapter 31

Cayden's POV 'The Night of the Fight'

Looking down at Rosa's still body on the cold ground, her eyes fighting to stay open, I felt my heart shattering once again. She had sacrificed herself to distract Jonathan, but seeing the blood seeping out of her now, at an alarming rate, I knew it hadn't been worth it.

As I bent down to hold her in my arms, I felt her ice-cold skin, sticky with blood, and her lips turning bluer as the seconds passed. Feeling the injuries I had gotten from the fight, I knew that my blood wouldn't be enough to save her, even if she took every drop until I bled out, which I would have let her do, but it still wouldn't be enough.

Her eyes were closed shut, and I wondered what was going on inside her mind, what she was seeing, thinking, as she was slowly dying. Her breaths were faint, and I felt her weak attempts at drawing in air as she moved in my arms.

I tried to plead with her, for her open her eyes, to come back to me, to be strong. But nothing I said seemed to register with her as she just kept lying still in my lap, unresponsive to my requests.

In the back of my mind, I heard Alexander rise from his beaten down position on the ground. I heard his grunts of pain, his swears of anger, his despair at seeing Rosaleen's black and blue beaten body in my arms.

'We have to save her, we have to do something, why are you just lying there?' Alexanders voice came roaring at me from behind my shoulder. I knew he wanted to push me away from her, but he seemed to afraid to hurt her if he moved her.

'Moving her is what will kill her, she doesn't have much longer, and I don't have enough blood to heal her now.' I respond, seeing back to this moment many years ago, how I had been too late then too, that when I had picked up my Lily in my arms, she had already taken her last breath.

'Then let her have my blood, I'll heal her, I'll save her' Alexander sounded frantic as he tried to get past me, to get his blood into her system.

'Your blood won't be strong enough either, you've lost to much blood, and you aren't old enough to heal an injury like this one, one so close to death.' I could feel the words leaving my lips, but I didn't hear what I was saying as I was looking down at her frozen face.

Looking at her skin that was white as paper with no blood to color it. How her lips that were blue from the cold, looking as if she was freezing solid. Her hair, that used to be fluffy and light, was now tangled and soaked in her own blood.

I couldn't handle losing her again, especially after never really having her again in the first place. Without getting to share our love again, I had already lost her so soon.

I knew I would give my life for hers, give my life so that she could live the life she deserved. And I knew, by looking at the panicked and heartbroken expression on Alexanders face, that he felt the same. Even though his feelings for her bothered me, angered me even, I was glad right now of them as I came up with a plan.

I took a deep breath, preparing myself for my declaration and for what his reaction might be.

'What if we both give her our blood?' I suggested.

It took him a moment to respond, but when he did, he was not amused.

'Are you joking right now, you know how dangerous it can be to mix two vampires blood, you know what has happened before.' he said, looking away from me, and back to Rosaleen's still figure beneath me.

'Well, what if it works this time, isn't she worth trying it for, even for the smallest chance at saving her' I said this, even doubting myself, but I didn't want to go back now.

I bit into my arm, letting my blood seep out, and I opened Rosaleen's cold mouth with my free hand, as I slowly started pouring my blood into her system.

'I will do this, with or without you. I will bleed myself dry trying to save her, but with your help, all of us might walk away from this.' I challenged, and I saw his hesitation, but also his willingness as he moved closer to her body.

With the sound of his bite, his blood joined mine, seeping into her mouth and into her system slowly.

The moment I knew it was working was the moment I saw the flutter of her eyelids, and I felt the relief going through me as her eyes met mine and I knew I hadn't lost her. But when her stare seemed to blink in and out of the moment, I wondered what was wrong. I couldn't understand what was happening inside her mind as she was there one second, and the next she was gone.

The last thing she did before closing her eyes for the last time was uttering three words that would shake my whole world.

'I remember us.'

And with that, my little rose was gone from me again.

...

Sitting in the corridor of the hospital, a place I didn't often visit, outside her room, Alexander and I waited for the day that she would finally wake up. We had tried to heal her as much as we could, but she had experienced a mental trauma, one that our blood wasn't capable of healing, and now all we could do was wait, wait and see what would happen.

The doctors said that they didn't know what had caused her coma-state, but that she would come out of it when she was ready, and there was no telling how she would be when she did wake up.

Day's had passed since the fight. Our bodies had healed completely now, including Rosaleen's, but my heart wouldn't heal until I could look into her eyes once again and see if she meant what she had said, if she really remembered me, remembers us.

I think that Alexander was waiting for the exact opposite, for her to wake up and tell him that it was him that she wanted. But I didn't pay attention to him because I knew that our love could prevail anything.

Sitting in silence in the corridor, we both had to fight our urges, being surrounded by blood and death. I focused all my attention towards my rose, to hear her heart, her breaths, waiting for the moment something happened. Hearing her steady heartbeats, her deep breaths in and out, calmed me and convinced me that she was okay, that everything would be okay.

I had gotten so used to the calmness of her that the moment I heard her heart beat a little faster, I couldn't figure out what was happening.

I was on my feet in seconds, frantically looking around the corridor, looking for a doctor or a nurse. Alexander had caught on to my thought, and he went to get someone, but I knew I couldn't wait, I had to see her, to be near her again.

Breaking into the room, I was met by her slowly rising body from her position on the bed, every move stiff, but she was moving again.

'Rose,' I whispered, not believing that I finally could talk to her again.

Her blue eyes met mine, and I saw the familiarity of them, and the life, that had almost been gone the last time I had seen them. I started to head towards her, but when she opened her mouth again, I was stopped dead in my tracks, feeling my healed heart, shatter again, into the million pieces I had glued them together from.

'Do I know you?' her confused voice asked, breaking me more than she would ever know.

Even though the pain I felt at hearing her declaration, and how seeing the confusion in her eyes at my pretense, broke me, I knew that I had made her fall in love with me before, and I would do it again.

...

And with that, the first book was finished! If you made it this far, I'm forever grateful and I hope you have enjoyed this story. A second book will come if that is something of interest because I've at least enjoyed writing this story.

How did you feel about the chapters from Cayden's point of view, would you like more of those?

Please comment and vote to show the story some love, and tell me if you would like a second book so you can find out what really has happened to Rosaleen now after the fight, and who of the men will win her heart!

Thank you once again for reading and I wish you all the best. xoxo