Chapter Twelve

"Dad?!," Blake yelled, as he ran in, his heart pounding inside his chest. He leaned his head against the counter, letting the sweat trickle down his forehead and onto the floor.

Yara, Spencer, Lena, and Shawn followed behind him, all of them panting and sweating hard. Lena pulled her hood down and dropped her shoulders in exhaustion, Shawn collapsed onto his knees, and Yara propped her elbow on Spencer's shoulder, fanning herself rapidly.

She talked slowly, a word coming after each breath. "Did...eh...we... have to.... run five freaking miles?!"

Blake didn't respond, he was too busy grasping his sweaty, sticky shirt. Okay, so maybe five miles was a lot to run with no stops, but he was just too excited. Once he saw that code- Animal- he immediately went back to that conversation he and Stacy had. At first, it all seemed so random, yet he cherished it because it was the last time he'd heard her soft, sweet voice. But finally, finally he could contribute something to the investigation. He finally felt useful, and not just like the guy on the sidelines. It was finally his turn to get answers. And what better place to get answers on this 'Animal' code then the Mayrose Animal Preservation?

Blake, his breathing once again regulating, looked around the shop, but in no sight was his dad. He must've left out to deliver adopted pets. Blake sighed. Okay, so he'd have to get the answers himself.

"Okay, so I just sweat off three pounds on the way over here," Lena said putting her hood back over her already greasy hair. The sweat just created an extra thick layer on her head, making her hair stiff. "So, you better have good explanation for this, bikerboy."

Blake laughed, a small grin on his face. "Bikerboy? 'We sticking with that nickname?"

Lena nodded. "Just like that shirt's sticking to your body."

Blake looked down at his shirt. He was pretty much drenched in his own perspiration. He sighed. "Anyway, we're here because I think I know what Stacy's code means."

"You think?," Spencer repeated skeptically. "How positive are you?"

Blake hissed. "Let's just keep our fingers crossed." He then began searching through drawers and cabinets.

"Yo, Blake?," Shawn said, combing his fingers through his hair. "What exactly are we looking for?"

Blake shrugged. "I remember Stacy coming in here, talking about she needed information on some animal. She never clarified, but we at least should start by finding out what animal she meant."

Yara rolled her eyes. " And how exactly does this help us? There are thousands of animals in the animal kingdom! It'll take us ages to narrow it down. And that's time we don't have."

Blake paused, halfway through the snack drawer. He didn't think about that. He just got so excited. And now he felt like a vacuum cleaner was sucking all that away. Another dead end. Or more like a clue that had so many possibilities, there was no end at all.

Guilt flowed through Blake's blood and made his mouth go dry and his skin go cold. He, however, didn't shiver. He'd had this feeling so many times, for so many different reasons, he knew this feeling would come sooner or later. It was the same feeling he had when he thought of his mother.

Spencer looked at Blake contently. He'd been Blake's best friend for years now, and he knew that far eyed, remorseful look from miles away. He walked up behind him and put his hand on his shoulder. "You good, man?"

Blake nodded, barely moving his head at all.

Just then, the sound of vibrating filled the room. Everyone turned to Yara, the sound being the loudest in her direction. She pulled it out aggravated and looked at the caller ID. Ugh, not this again.