Chapter 26

Three weeks were gone already, yet it only felt like yesterday Jeen was in Sykes Lab. Isabella's death was like a bruise from yesterday. She found it hard to talk to anyone, even Roman. She didn't want to and she wasn't going to try, which was fine because neither was he.

For the first couple days she didn't believe Isabella was dead. The denial was slowly getting better, but she still found herself forgetting it was all real. It was hard to remind herself that it had all happened, that it wasn't just her imagination haunting her dreams.

She wished it was.

Jeen looked up from the dry ground as she watched Roman, Wen, and Shane walk onto the ball field. Dr. Paxton thought it would be good for them to play a game of batting. She had no desire to, but she told herself it'd be good for her.

"I don't remember how to play." She sighed, the sun glaring above them.

"There's nothing to really remember." Roman said, walking across the field to his position, dragging his feet.

"Well, I just thought I'd make that clear in case I mess up." Jeen mumbled, refraining from rolling her eyes.

"Jeen, why don't you stand over there?" Dr. Paxton said as he carried an extra bat, pointing towards east side of the field.

She walked sluggishly towards the direction he pointed.

"Everyone ready?" Dr. Paxton asked.

There was a few mumbled 'yeahs'.

Wen was the pitcher for the game - unfair in Jeen's opinion. His fidgeting came to a halt as he began to toss the ball between his hands before throwing. As expected, he pitched too soon, and at an unrealistic speed. Roman didn't have to time to hit it, swinging when it was already past.

"Wen, you weren't supposed to pitch yet." Sherry said from the stands, Wen's adoptive mother and the doctors ex-wife, or maybe they were still married. Jeen didn't know what the situation was.

"Okay." Wen said, sighing.

It was clear he was thoroughly enjoying the game just as much as Jeen.

Dr. Paxton retrieved another ball from a bag, tossing it to Wen, who caught without giving a hint of a glance.

He took a deep breath before pitching again - and Roman missed again. Jeen turned, looking behind her back to the house and wishing she was in her room instead of being forced to play a game of 'catch'.

Roman glared behind his shoulder, the ball nowhere in sight.

"Why don't we do it one more time?" He said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I'm not the one who's missing." Wen answered from across the field.

"If you don't mind, I'm done playing." Shane said, retreating towards the benches, sitting beside Londen, who had been sitting silent for the last hour.

Jeen watched as he went, ready to say the same.

"I'll be back in a few minutes." Dr. Paxton said, drawing their attention.

He was staring at his ovi-form, a grim expression forming on his face.

Shane stood to his feet, watching the doctor. Londen looked up with a frown.

"You can keep playing without me. Shane, Sherry, can you come here please." He said walking back to the house.

Sherry frowned, standing from the bench and walking alongside the doctor.

"What's that about?" Jeen remarked, watching them go.

"Aren't they gonna tell us what-" Roman began, but choked instead when a ball hit him in the stomach, knocking the wind out of him.