Chapter 9

All she could focus on when she ran was her extremely loud thundering heart and the fear that covered her body. But as she came to the end of the room she was paralyzed by fear until Londen grabbed her and Roman by the arms - snapping Jeen out of her daze - and dragged them with him into the hallway. They splashed as they charged through the tunnel, blindly following Londen's lead.

Some sort of commotion had stalled the people shooting.

One of the people from the crowd screamed "don't shoot!"

Londen let go of both their arms and told them to keep running.

They came to the end of the tunnel, Jeen flinching and falling over as bullets flew. She scrambled around the corner of the tunnel, limping and holding onto Roman for support.

Londen kept a tight hold on his rifle as he took them through twists and turns until they reached a fork in the tunnels. They ran down the left end until they came to a round iron door in the wall of the tunnel.
"Follow me. And whatever you do - do not panic." Londen panted as he bent over resting his hands on his knees, breathing raggedly.
"Why would we panic?" Roman asked, his eyes switching back between Londen and Jeen.

Londen lifted his gray eyes and met both of theirs.
"It's a tight tunnel. Let's just hope you guys aren't claustrophobic." He finished hurriedly.

"Are you sure there's no other way out?" Jeen's weak voice asked as she rubbed her shivering arms. She had only just realized how cold she was from being completely drenched. She was practically freezing as she tried to wiggle her numb toes under the mucky water. She could barely feel them.
"Yeah. It's the only way I know besides the entrance. And you can forget trying to get out that way. Guards everywhere-" His words stopped and he suddenly stumbled, his hand reaching for the wall for support. His face went pale and for a moment and Jeen was sure he was about to pass out.
"... You okay?" Roman asked frowning.

Londen tried nodding but it came off as more of a weak twitch. He looked ill. Deathly ill.

"Are you hit?" Jeen asked, dreading what would happen if they lost their guide.

He shook his head.
Roman and Jeen shared a look.

"We have to go. Now. They'll be here any minute." Londen said quickly. He seemed desperate to change the subject from his mysterious illness. He pushed himself away from the wall and walked to the door, and pushed the latch up that opened the circular door. From what Jeen could see it was another tunnel, about half the size of the one they were in, and without the fluorescent lights hanging from the ceiling. But what was worse than the small size was the darkness. Everything was a black abyss that lay forward, and a cold wind touched her face as she walked a couple steps forward.
"We're going in there?" Jeen whispered.

Instead of answering though, Londen walked into the tunnel.

Roman glanced over at Jeen and took a deep breath before he too took a step up and followed Londen.
Her heart started to race again and all she could think about is what could go wrong if they didn't make it out. She swallowed the bile in her throat and tried to ignore how abnormally cold she felt.Then she moved and walked forward shaking her head as she lifted her foot and stepped into the tunnel.
"Close the door behind you." Londen's voice echoed across the tunnel.

Jeen turned around and went back to the entrance and grabbed the latch on the heavy iron door. As she began pulling it closed she could hear distant splashing of footsteps. She slammed it shut the rest of the way and ran to catch up with Londen and Roman.
"We better hurry, I hear them coming." She breathed as she limped beside them.

Londen turned around and looked at Roman with a frown.

"Do you think you could find a way to stop them from getting that door open?" He asked.